Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hacked WiFi/devices on WiFi

WiFi

• Please log in to reply

TechDeficient

TechDeficient

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Please forgive any errors, as I am far from the most technically proficient person.  Also, I am a moron. I got a call yesterday on my cell from Apple.  At least I thought it was.  The caller ID said Apple and it had the Apple logo.  I had gotten two other calls from that same person in the previous hour.  When I answered, he said it was Apple and gave me his "Apple ID" and another number to identify this call.  He said my icloud account had been compromised and they were going to help me determine if my device was compromised entirely.  The first thing he had me to do was go into my Content and Privacy Restrictions on my phone to see if it was turned on (it was).  He then asked if I could get onto a computer.  He had me type in a command box "netstats" or something like that, which then turned up five or six different devices that were on my home WiFi network.  He claimed that anything under "Foreign IP" meant it was unauthorized. It sounded off to me, but what did I know?  He then had me to go an Apple page where you can input a validation key.  This, of course, failed, so he then had me to go another remote access method (I cannot remember the name, but I did look it up and it said it is legit).  When I hit an arrow, it then downloaded LogMeIn and, shortly after, he remoted into my laptop.  Once in there, he hit some command that kept regenerating what looked like the devices accessing my home WiFi.  He did this maybe twice.  Once I told him it was my work laptop, he said he couldn't do anything to it because I wouldn't have administrator rights (the things he wanted to do:  get new "ID" numbers, put up another firewall).  He told me I needed to go to a Best Buy or Apple store and buy an Apple Care card, for which Apple would then reimburse me.  He didn't do anything else on my screen, that I could see at least, once he learned it was a work computer.  He said he would need to do it on the other devices connected to our home WiFi.  He said he would schedule a call for an hour so I had time to go get the card.  He wanted to stay on the phone with me while I did that, but I said no to that.  I ended the remote session, which lasted maybe a few minutes.  Shortly after, I did some googling and realized that this all was of course a scam.  I immediately deleted the LogMeIn install.  The call back he said he scheduled never came. 

What I am hoping and praying, perhaps too optimistically, is that once I wouldn't go to the store with him on the phone, or once he realized he was in my work computer, that he decided it wasn't worth it.  What I am worried about is whether that remote access situation (I didn't give him any other info, like passwords, etc) allowed him to get into our WiFi network without the use of my laptop and, second, whether he can now gain access to all devices on our WiFi.  We have nothing embarrassing or anything on any of our devices, but we do all of our banking, credit cards, bills, etc. on them. 

For whatever its worth, our IT department at work deep-sixed my laptop.  They said there is no evidence the person did anything in our system, but that because we maintain some ISO certification we take that step as a precautionary measure just simply because of the remote access.  He said, for our home WiFi, we needed to change our password and call our ISP to see what they wanted to do, and probably change every password for every account we have.  But he didn't sound that certain.  Would be much appreciative of any thoughts or suggestions!

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Hello TechDeficient,

Passwords should be changed every so often anyway, so yes changing your passwords should be enough. Change them from a different computer not the Laptop that was deep-sixed. You can also change your wifi password, You could notify the bank also that your concerned as to what occurred. Doing that and you should be fine, I think your right he decided it was not worth it what ever exactly he was trying to do.

Joe