Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can a Windows 10 User Profile folder name safely be changed?

- - - - -

Best Answer JEISEN , 20 December 2019 - 11:24 AM

Its possible but it could break many things... you have to correct all references of the old folder on Registry and files, in many cases this isn't so easy because the references aren't in plain te... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

JEISEN

JEISEN

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I've been reading horror stories of those that have tried and lose everything. I don't know why MS has to make this so difficult or not doable in the first place. :ranting:

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Its possible but it could break many things... you have to correct all references of the old folder on Registry and files, in many cases this isn't so easy because the references aren't in plain text to simply edit.

This doesn't affect only Windows but also all the installed programs.

The safer way is, create a new user and profile then transfers the user files and eventually copy some configurations that you know well.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
✓  Best Answer

Its possible but it could break many things... you have to correct all references of the old folder on Registry and files, in many cases this isn't so easy because the references aren't in plain text to simply edit.

This doesn't affect only Windows but also all the installed programs.

The safer way is, create a new user and profile then transfers the user files and eventually copy some configurations that you know well.

Thanks for the quick/informative response! I'm going to leave it as is. The person I bought it from thought it would be a good idea to "set it up" for me and put my real name on it. That really took the P out of PC. Because I should have a choice of how I want it named (privacy and/or anonymity) . But now it's too loaded with important info to mess with.