Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alert! Previous shutdown due to thermal event

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

JEISEN

JEISEN

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

My Windows 10 machine has been shutting down on it's own after an hour. I thought maybe my power options had been changed-they had not. The topic title error message appeared onscreen at power up. I ran Troubleshooter followed it's steps (I forget what exactly) but now it shuts off after about ten minutes. So I'm guessing a power supply problem? Would it be possible to remove this drive and place it in another Win 10 as a b/u drive?

Advertisements

garioch7

garioch7

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 62 posts

My guess would be yes, unless it is an extremely old drive.  I "repurposed" the Samsung 850 Pro 1 TB drive that was the OS drive in my previous computer to be my dedicated internal backup drive in my new Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition computer.  The OS drive in the new computer is an Intel 1 TB NVMe.M2 SSD.  The backup speeds are amazing: eleven minutes for Macrium Reflect (paid) to image all of the disk partitions and verify the backup!

Let us know how you get along.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

My guess would be yes, unless it is an extremely old drive.  I "repurposed" the Samsung 850 Pro 1 TB drive that was the OS drive in my previous computer to be my dedicated internal backup drive in my new Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition computer.  The OS drive in the new computer is an Intel 1 TB NVMe.M2 SSD.  The backup speeds are amazing: eleven minutes for Macrium Reflect (paid) to image all of the disk partitions and verify the backup!

Regards,

-Phil

Thanks Phil! Eleven minutes? Nice!

I tried starting it one more time. These messages came on screen:preparing automatic repair-diagnosing-attempting repairs. It shut down in about a minute. I only have a generic USB 2.0 external drive enclosure box to use for this drive. Manufacturers barely give you room for one drive now.  So no room in my main one. At some point later today I will post an update!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Desktop or laptop? I assume desktop. Sounds like over heating. Are all the fans operational? Turn power off and unplug it. Open the case and check to see if all the fans spin. Lightly brush off the fans and blades Check the heat sink for build up on the fans and heat sink. Clean the stuff off and give the computer a try again. You can operate the computer with the side cover off. Just becarefull nothing gets in there.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Regards,

-Phil

I had forgotten that this was a SATA drive. My external is IDE. I do have the SATA backed up from last week. So If I want to use this drive I'll have to get an adapter.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Desktop or laptop? I assume desktop. Sounds like over heating. Are all the fans operational? Turn power off and unplug it. Open the case and check to see if all the fans spin. Lightly brush off the fans and blades Check the heat sink for build up on the fans and heat sink. Clean the stuff off and give the computer a try again. You can operate the computer with the side cover off. Just becarefull nothing gets in there.

Desktop! Fans are in good working order. Cleaned weekly (cat owner). I had already tried your suggestion before I posted originally. In hopes that it was the fan(s). But it's a great excuse to buy a new one!