Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

KVM switch not working; cannot configure

#kvm #kvmswitch

• Please log in to reply

BerDov

BerDov

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Hello all,

I have two computers (HP and DELL) and two monitors (ViewSonic and NEC).

NEC is always connected to DELL;
ViewSonic is supposed to switch between HP (the only display) and DELL where it extends the desktop.

After buying a new ViewSonic with 2560x1440 resolution, I retired a 10-12 years old KVM switch with VGA and PS/2 connectors.

The new, IOGEAR switch, GCS52DP, worked with DELL and both monitors. Switching to HP displayed “No signal” message on screen. Keyboard and mouse do switch with no problem.

After talking to IOGEAR tech support, I bought a newer (?) model, GSC62DP. The problem is exactly the same.

IOGEAR tech has also suggested buying/trying GCS62HU, a switch with HDMI connectors. That would require also buying a DP/HDMI active adaptor.

Can anybody help understand the problem?

Hardware:

HP. Win 7 Pro; SP1; Intel i3-6100 CPU; 64 bit; Display adapter: Intel HD Graphics 530; two connectors: DP and VGA (or SVGA but does it matter any more?)

DELL. Win10 Pro; Intel i7-8700 CPU; 64 bit; Display adapters: Intel UHD Graphics 630; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB;

Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Reading the 1 and 2 star reviews for the IOGEAR on Amazon and Newegg show a lot of people are having the same problem with their DisplayPort KVMs

There is a discussion of the problem at:

https://arstechnica....c.php?t=1302157

Appears your KVM needs EDID passthru/Monitor Emulation so that the PC doesn't realize the monitor is no longer really connected.  In the DisplayPort world that moves the KVM price up into the over $300 price range.  I found one switch from Belkin which claims to work 

https://www.belkin.c...p/P-F1DN102N-3/

but if I read its specs correctly it connects to DisplayPort on the PCs and to HDMI on the monitor.  Also with the word Secure in the name you add a lot of cost.  Don't know where you could find one.  I followed several links with prices in the $360+ range but all seem to be out of stock.

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Thank you!

I will read the discussion on arstechnica, may be will get another idea.  If not, I will try my luck with the HDMI-based GCS62HU switch.

I paid about $400 for the new monitor, so paying the same for a switch is totally ridiculous. The 10 y.o.  IOGEAR switch was about $30. When new equipment required adapters, I bought them, everything always worked. New technology gets more complicated of course...

I will share my findings.

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

P.S. Just read this about GCS62HU model on Microcenter’s web site: “...Maximum Supported Resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz...”

Back to square one.

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

After giving it more thought, here is how I plan to solve the problem. I will buy two DP extension cables, plug them into both computers, and clamp the female ends to the edge of the desk. When I need to switch the monitor, I will pull its cable out of one (pardon me) female end, by hand, and insert into another one. It is not an elegant solution, but it will work. If and when the connections are worn out, I will buy another pair of cables.  Or, maybe, by then somebody will start making switches that work and cost less than a monitor.

For the keyboard and the mouse, I will bring the old KVM switch out of retirement and use it as KM switch.

This looks perfectly workable on paper. Anything missing?

Thanks again, Ron.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Seems like that will have the same problem.  The PC will detect the monitor is not there and get mad so there is going to be some delay while it decides the monitor is back again.  But cables are a lot cheaper than KVMs so give it a try.

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

The “low tech” solution of Dec 25 works. The extension cables arrived 3-4 days ago. The first day, the monitor suddenly went dark several times when connected to HP/Win7. Moving a mouse would instantly revive it. This issue, whatever it was, went away after one day.

Also, a significant delay in recognizing the mouse/keyboard was evident when switching computers. Again, it was the first day only. There is no noticeable delay today.

The DP connectors are pretty tight, but I don’t see it as a big deal to manually pull them apart and reconnect a few times per day.

If and when a properly designed and reasonably priced KVM switch appears on the market, I will buy it.

Happy new Year to all!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Glad it's working.  Thanks for the feedback. 

I thought about saving wear and tear on the cables by  making up a couple of DP to DB25 cables and running it through a manual switch like:

KENTEK DB25 2 Way Manual Data Switch Box RS-232 Parallel Serial D-Sub 25 Pin Female I/O AB Port for PC MAC to Peripherals Devices Printer Modem

($25 on Amazon) but probably it would introduce too much interference, the box might ground some of the wires or not break before make and cause problems.  Also working with the dense little DP connectors is hard though I suppose you could just cut a couple of DP cables and strip the wires and solder them onto DB25s (if the wires will take solder.  Many won't and only work with crimps).  As long as the order was consistent on all three it wouldn't matter how they were sorted.

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Thank you for the idea, Ron, but I don’t think I am qualified enough and it would take too much time. I’ll see how long my quick and dirty setup will work.