Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help pls. Windows vista 10?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Awsmshlee87

Awsmshlee87

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a laptop that my dad used well I dont know his password and I cant ask him so i want to factory reset the whole system how do i do that?
No disk or hard drive
No other computer
Please help

Advertisements

Friedrich Schnellinger

Friedrich Schnellinger

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

If you mean the password shows up inmediately when you press the power on button then that's a BIOS password, you may need to flash the BIOS... and that is a dangerous process because you can permanently break that computer.

If the password is before you see the desktop (You know, your wallpaper, icons, folders...) then it's a system password then the format and reinstall should help:

EDIT by paws reference to password circumvention and cracking tools removed as these go against our site's Terms of Use

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
No disk or hard drive
No other computer

Couple of pointers;

If there is no hard drive present then the password must be for the BIOS to which no reputable forum will help folk to get around.

No disk, no access to any other computer and no hard drive means that there is no Windows media to install, no means of obtaining Windows media and if there was Windows media there is no hard drive to install the media on to  :headscratch:

While we will not help you with getting around passwords we can advise you as to how you can have this resolved using legitimate means, take the computer to a reputable tech local to you or have them come to you, you will need proof of ownership such as the sales invoice, picture ID such as a driving licence/passport and proof of your address such as a recent utility bill.

As per the GTG Terms of Use that we all agreed to abide by when becoming a member no assistance will be offered regarding bypassing passwords.

BIOS or Operating System's passwords are there for the purpose related to Security and Privacy to protect the legitimate owner of a machine. While there are many locations on the Internet that might help you learn about managing passwords for a machine's BIOS or Operating System, we a G2G do not assist in what amounts to hacking past a machine's Security and Privacy safeguards.

While such requests are often legitimate, and come from users who experience exactly the kind of problem that you post, we have no way of determining legitimate vs. not legitimate, therefore we do not respond to such requests.

Thread closed as per the above explanation.