Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dead laptop :(

Best Answer Rascle53 , 01 January 2020 - 11:26 AM

Teacher.. .. Have already went through all of that did not make any difference. Its of a mystery of how just setting in its own little space could have a effect like that. But i recon stranger thin... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Rascle53

Rascle53

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

I have a gateway m685-e laptop thats been  my main pc for quite awhile. Recently I got another laptop and put the gateway on the shelf for about 3 months give or take, I got it out the other day for my granddaughter to use and its flat dead. Ive tried 3 different chargers, replaced the battery with a new one, removed ram and hard drive,blew it out with air and sorry to say, its just flat dead, wont even boot to bios. Was working great when i put it up.

Any Ideas what or why this happened?

Rascle

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello Rascle53

Perhaps Signs of CMOS Battery Failure. All I can think of for now.

Thanks
zep

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

A dead CMOS battery will still allow a computer to boot. It may not boot correctly but it may boot. It may only go to bios.

All that the CMOS does (that I have experianced) is it holds the date and time. It also holds info in the bios especially if you tweaked the bios. Otherwise the computer boots to default settings.

Rascle53,

1. do you see any charging light on the unit?

2. Do you see anything on the screen?

Rascle53

Rascle53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

A dead CMOS battery will still allow a computer to boot. It may not boot correctly but it may boot. It may only go to bios.

All that the CMOS does (that I have experianced) is it holds the date and time. It also holds info in the bios especially if you tweaked the bios. Otherwise the computer boots to default settings.

Rascle53,

1. do you see any charging light on the unit?

2. Do you see anything on the screen?

123Runner, no, have nothing at all, with or without charger or new battery

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Rascle53,

It's always annoying when you put away a usable laptop and then find a while later that it won't boot up or show signs of life.

Here's some first aid suggestions for you:

1 Disconnect your power supply/mains charger from the laptop and check the output voltage ( a simple voltmeter preferable digital, will do the job) it should show an output of 19v If the output shown is within one half a volt of 19v then it's likely the power supply mains charger is OK, its not a definitive test but usefully indicative.

2 If the power supply is showing 19v then check the power gauge on the battery (you need to invert the laptop unlock the battery compartment using the sliders and check the gauge...... If you have fitted a non standard battery rather than an OEM one then it may be that the gauge is not present...

3 Remove the battery and place it somewhere safe, and unplug the Power Supply/mains charger from the electrical outlet socket (wall socket) and also uplug the output wire from the power supply/mains charger to the laptop. Check carefully that there is no disc in the DVD/CD drive (you can open the drive tray usually by using an opened paper clip in the small hole set into the tray.) Check also that there is no card of any sort in the card reader slot. Now discharge the capacitors by pressing and holding down the "power on" button for 20 seconds, then releasing it, waiting for 20 seconds and then pressing and holding in on again for a further 20 seconds Please do not skimp on the timings, count or use a  stopwatch to ensure that timings are accurate, This will help to ensure that all residual charge that may remain in the capacitors is fully discharged.

4 With the battery still removed and stored safely, reconnect the power supply/mainscharger to the laptop and then energise the power supply by plugging it into the wall socket. Switch on the wall socket if it has a switch (you can test the wall socket by temporarily plugging in a lamp or other device.)

5 With the battery disconnected, but the power supply/mains charger plugged into a working wall socket, attempt to start the laptop in the usual way (press and hold in the " power on" button for one second only.)

If the computer shows signs of life then rejoice! but if it doesn't report back here with your findings., and one of us will advise the next steps.

Regards

paws

Rascle53

Rascle53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
✓  Best Answer

Teacher.. .. Have already went through all of that did not make any difference. Its of a mystery of how just setting in its own little space could have a effect like that. But i recon stranger things have happened.

Rascle53

Rascle53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

never did find the problem, even ran jumpers on the motherboard power jack, still got nothing. To make a long mystery short, i took another laptop that needed more than i cared to put into it ( same kind ) and just started swapping parts untill  W H A M!!  i had one working.

Thank you for all of the imput

Rascle

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Glad you got it fixed

:thumbsup: