Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 really slow start up issue (Resolved).

* * * * * 1 votes

Best Answer JoPopey , 12 January 2020 - 01:09 PM

Thank you its all done now and updated sucessfully...phew finally! Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Wrong screenshot again I`m afraid, did you read my reply #16 correctly, processes and performance are two different words  :P

See the attachment for what we need to be seeing.

You post a link to a How to Geek article which you as said you are free to follow, it has nothing to do with what you need to achieve + the links for you to be able to download your own versions of Windows has already been provided by myself.

Regarding editing previous posts that have not been replied to, apart from what has already been explained, we do not get any notice of a post being edited and so only see what was in the original email notification.

Got to go out for a while but will be back around 19.30pm UK time.

Advertisements

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Yes i did read it, but i have a disability that impairs me.  I have done another one now.  Thanks mate.

Attached Thumbnails

• Taskmanager.jpg

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Realise there are more so scrolled down and now adding.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (18).jpg
  • Screenshot (19).jpg
  • Screenshot (20).jpg
  • Screenshot (21).jpg
  • Screenshot (22).jpg
  • Screenshot (23).jpg
  • Screenshot (24).jpg
  • Screenshot (25).jpg
  • Screenshot (26).jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Chrome is shown to be using the most memory but not all 81% of it,there is also high CPU usage.

Up to yourself how yow wish to proceed now I`m afraid, if me I would back up the drivers and then clean install Windows 10 + the system drivers.

If you are not comfortable doing this, is there anyone you can ask to do it for you, the alternative is to ask a local tech or tech store what they would charge to do a clean install, it is your only real option imo, someone has made a real mess of the HDD with all those partitions,the most that you should have is the three that Windows creates when it installs and the rest of the drive available as one partition.

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Hello thanks for your reply, because of Samsung support only being available via 8.1 on my system im thinking of doing a clean install of that, do i need to back up the drivers or just use the link you sent me? and as posted before would welcome your talking me through it.

Thanks in advance

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

I have a very busy day tomorrow so may not be around until Sunday morning UK time,this will give you time to be getting on with the following.

Do you have a couple of USB thumbdrives,for what I suggest you will need one that is 4GB and one that is big enough to save your drivers to.

You can download the drivers from here

Download to the 4GB USB thumbdrive the Windows 8.1 ISO from here

What I suggest that you do, to begin with, clean install Windows 8.1 on its own partition, install the drivers and starting with the chipset drivers first, get Windows 8.1 fully up to date and then try doing an in place upgrade to Windows 10. 

If you can sort the above out by Sunday we can post step by step instructions for you as how to go about clean installing Windows 8.1 + the drivers and getting rid of the surplus partitions in the process.

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Okay cool ..will download drivers and 8.1 am a little confused as you say to install 8.1 on its own partition and the drivers then if i sort by Sunday you will post step by step instructions for installing 8.1 and drivers....?

I will do the downloads today and confirm with you Sunday for how to proceed 

Edited by JoPopey, 04 January 2020 - 10:19 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Hope we catch you in time before you download the Windows 8.1 ISO, have an idea for you, how do you feel about using the original Samsung recovery partition, this will put the computer back to the way that it was when you first got it which includes getting rid of the additional partitions that have been created, you can then if you like download a Windows 10 ISO and clean install that on its own partition, doing this has the added safety net of the original Samsung recovery partition being preserved to which you could go back to should you either not like Windows 10 or it does not work out for you, let us know what you think.

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Hi Phill,  Yes that sounds great i would love to do that, i think it may be the only way...but i think what i am going to put 8.1 on because i can then access Samsung support should it be needed....I have got all the drivers on one usb and have 8.1 on another....how should i proceed....

Thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Hello Jo,

Good, we have a plan and hopefully what will turn out to be an easier one for you, can I just mention that unless you have an extended (paid for) warranty Samsung cover is normally only offered for twelve months and from when the notebook is out of the box new.

To the task at hand, you will not need anything for this process other than your undivided attention, you need to be there to respond to any on screen prompts that you may get such as press any key, choose your language or check for updates etc.

Please power up/restart the notebook and continually tap the F4 key, this should allow you to access the Samsung OEM recovery partition where you should follow all of the on screen messages as they appear, any questions ask away but if not good luck and we will hopefully hear back from you soon.

Advertisements

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Okay great stuff....so will look for OEM recovery partition in menu highlight that and go from there cool I have done the F4 and it came up with the samsung recovery panel rather than the computer but i guess that is right....attached photo not sure whether to select partition settings as on...i selected on thanks Phill

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4813.JPG

Edited by JoPopey, 05 January 2020 - 06:20 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

The OEM recovery partition should be the only thing that can be seen when you use the F4 key on boot, this was put in place back at the factory and not added afterwards and the only way of accessing the additional Windows 10 recovery partition would be via the advanced boot options within Windows.

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Okay done it and it looks good....need to get rid of all the excess partitions tho....I tried right click but got the following screen shots to show you with each one what I got.....basically I couldn't just delete them....annoying right? you may have the solution!!

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (2).png
  • Screenshot (3).png
  • Screenshot (4).png
  • Screenshot (5).png
  • Screenshot (6).png

Edited by JoPopey, 05 January 2020 - 07:13 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Great and a job well done on your behalf  :thumbsup:

The partitions that you have now cannot be gotten rid of as they are all required by the present Windows installation and the Samsung OEM recovery partition.

How is the computer running and was your recovery partition Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. 

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

brilliant it was windows 8...I thought it would just be two partitions left C and D....

Am updating at present its very slow so will let you know when completed

Edited by JoPopey, 05 January 2020 - 08:13 AM.