Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 really slow start up issue (Resolved).

* * * * * 1 votes

Best Answer JoPopey , 12 January 2020 - 01:09 PM

Thank you its all done now and updated sucessfully...phew finally! Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

The first two small partitions that you can see in Disk Manager are created by Windows (C:) when it is installing and the two partition after your D: partition are both related to your Samsung OEM recovery partition and they all need each other for the respective recovery partitions to work.

Entirely up to yourself but if me, because you now have just Windows already on its own partition I would go for a clean install of Windows 10 on that partition, you have nothing to lose by doing this as you still have your Samsung OEM recovery partition to fall back on should you not like Windows 10.

Fwiw, your previous Windows 10 install was giving you grief because of the way that it had been installed, was it done as an in place upgrade.

Advertisements

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Microsoft did it and it was not a clean instal so yeh an upgrade i believe.

The guy at Samsung i spoke to said that the computer is not compatible with Windows 10.....i believe he said it was something to do with the graphics...wont i have to pay if i do clean install to 10 these days?

Thanks Phill

Jo

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Poor work on behalf of Microsoft then, anyone that has been around computer for even a short while will tell you that a clean install is always better than an in place upgrade, it avoids conflicts + it gets rid of all the rubbish such as orphaned files, bloatware and obsolete drivers and updates.

Did you have any problems with the graphics at all while you were running Windows 10.

You do not have to pay for Windows 10, you can either update for free using the clean install option (don`t keep any files etc, choose keep nothing ) or like Windows 8.1 you can download your own ISO, you will  need a 16GB USB thumbdrive or a blank DVD and DVD for this, all the info that you need for the media is available from here and we will be on stand by here should you need us, I do need to get a few hrs of paid work done shortly though but will be around later.

Please note that it is important that you make sure that it is Windows on the C: drive that you get rid of and only my opinion but I prefer burning Windows to a DVD over anything else.

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Ok great thanks Phill ....how will I know its windows on the C Drive im getting rid of.....?

It says on clean install (using the tool to upgrade to windows 10) need to be upgrading from 8.1 so will work my way there first...

Thanks in advance.

Jo

Edited by JoPopey, 05 January 2020 - 11:05 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

As long as you install 8.1 and then get it fully up to date you cannot go wrong if you do the update while still in Windows.

Aye should have mentioned the need to update to 8.1 first but still had clean installing from a DVD ISO in my head, that`s what I get for being in a rush  :blush:

You are welcome  :)

Did you have any problems with the graphics at all while you were running Windows 10.

NB: You forgot to answer the above for us.

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Hello, okay thanks for the reply....I didn't have any issues with Graphics but computer so slow i didnt get round to doing anything to really test.

Ive been updating 8 all evening, had to put Windows 10 on USB as DVD not large enough....not sure how im going to get to 8.1 at the moment i did try and put Code in that came with my original Windows package (8) but to no avail....

What to do....next...dont think im going to get this done tonight....but its all a work in progress and going the right way...

Do i save to C drive ? i guess it will ask?

thanks in advance

jo

Edited by JoPopey, 05 January 2020 - 03:28 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Good news on the graphics and proof if it were needed that Samsung were fobbing you off.

You do not need to enter any product code as it is already stored on the Microsoft database and will be recognised, your Windows 8 install would have been stopped from updating otherwise, same goes for when installing Windows 10 when installing.

No worries, going offline myself shortly and may not be around at all tomorrow I`m afraid.

Do i save to C drive ? i guess it will ask?

Save what to C:

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

You said this re C Drive

Please note that it is important that you make sure that it is Windows on the C: drive that you get rid of and only my opinion but I prefer burning Windows to a DVD over anything else.

I have had to put 8.1 on usb...I just cannot open this site xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx any alternative....thanks Phill

Jo

Edit by phillpower2: removed external link for security.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Whoa to where was that external link going, wherever it was it was not good and for the life of me I can`t think why you need to include any links in your posts, any required ISO links have been provided by myself and were direct from Microsoft themselves.

Regarding your Windows question, if you go for clean installing Windows 10 on the present C: drive by using the clean install option (don`t keep any files etc, choose keep nothing ) it would not matter as you do not need to choose where to install Windows, if you use the ISO option to clean install Windows as part of the installation process you would be asked where you wanted to install Windows as in on which of the present partitions on the HDD C:, D: or the Recovery partition the latter of which would be bad atm.

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Thanks Phill Im having problems doing the clean install it wont progress beyond loading....Jeez this has been a long process but all good...any suggestions, I was going to do ISO windows 10 but again it wouldn't let me save on USB....weird am having these problems .... I was also unable to do all windows 8.1 downloads...any idea how to proceed?

Thanks

jo

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Whoa to where was that external link going, wherever it was it was not good and for the life of me I can`t think why you need to include any links in your posts, any required ISO links have been provided by myself and were direct from Microsoft themselves.

Can you answer the above for us Jo.

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Phill Im not sure, i did copy it....all very strange. I will take a screen shot of clean install issue....asap its taking forever to download windows 10 and wont go beyond dont save anything...Im just going to look for where the link came from as ive only used ones given...

I did not know it was dodgy, im not a technical person just thought it strange it didn't lead to download tool

Edited by JoPopey, 08 January 2020 - 03:29 AM.

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

I just dont have the foggiest where that came from....im a bit baffled by it myself.....the internet was weird a few days ago and kept crashing, it appears to be sorted out now but meant i couldnt open anything consisitenly it kept saying the router had not established a DHL connection....and offered me a link to something called Zyxel that it asked me to login to but i didnt as have no login or the foggiest what that was.....does that help.  I wondered at some point whther i had a virus but have a virtually clean computer as got nothing on it since ive been doing all this stuff

I got that link when I went on to the site to get the download tool....its very odd Phill, im not sure which link so something must have got corrupted???

At the moment im doing the 10 download from the link but its giving me a US disclaimer which is possibly why its not downloading properly? No I don't think it is that...im getting this message when trying to download to USB or clean install.  Ive attached it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (2).png
  • Screenshot (3).png

Edited by JoPopey, 08 January 2020 - 04:24 AM.

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

I have flu Phill so wont be on here for a day or two but i am not dumping the post just got to sleep as ill.  Im having issues updating 8.1....

Thanks in advance Jo

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Put this on hold until you feel better, I`m working so it is not like there is any rush on my behalf, get yourself better and only reply when you feel up to it.

You have not come across that link by following anything here Jo  :no:

From my reply No`s 12 and 23 respectively;

You can download and reinstall Windows 10 yourself if you decide to go that route, see the second option at Create Windows 10 installation media info here

8.1 ISO info here

You can download the drivers from here

Download to the 4GB USB thumbdrive the Windows 8.1 ISO from here

The only links provided by myself are direct official Microsoft and Samsung ones and have nothing to do with any Zyxel who it would appear are a Chinese communications company that make network devices such as routers, what brand is your router?