Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please check FRST scans

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Are you sure you right clicked and Run As Admin?

If you can't get it to work just run a new FRST scan and post both logs.

Advertisements

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Tried again and this is the results:

Attached File  VEW system.txt   1.04KB   176 downloads

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 17/02/2020 5:05:35 PM
Type: Warning Category: 0
Event: 11 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

Download & Save the attached wininit.reg file then right click and Merge.  This will fix the above error.

Go on with the MSE uninstall (doubtful that Microsoft will continue to maintain the Win 7 version any more) & Avast install and boot-time scan.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I don't see an attached file.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

oops

Attached File  wininit.reg   340bytes   196 downloads

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

What will wininit file do to my system? It won't overwrite any docs or folders, will it?

Also, between when I uninstall MSE and before Avast runs, will my system be vulnerable? How long does the Avast scan take? (you said you let it run while you're asleep, but that could mean anything - LOL)

Again, forgive my ignorance!

Edited by debodun, 18 February 2020 - 12:12 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

There is a section in the registry where it tells windows to load a certain file with every program you run.  There are actually two entries.  One lists the file(s) that should be run and the other enables the loading of the file(s).  Per FRST you are not loading any files but the error

Event: 11 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

indicates the enable option is on.  This just turns it off.  Won't have any effect on files or programs.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Ran VEW again. If I interpret the scans correctly, the dynamic link libraries didn't load today (Feb 20th), even though older events are still showing.

Attached Files

Edited by debodun, 20 February 2020 - 10:20 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

The event only shows up when you reboot so if you rebooted today then the .reg file fixed it.

Are you going to try Avast's boot-time scan?

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Right now I am content that my system shuts down much more quickly now and doesn't flash the "Waiting for a program to close" message. I will keep your advice on the back burner in case I have further difficulties. As always, thank you for your always helpful suggestions and for guiding me in this situation, As for now, I am satisfied, but leave the thread open for a few days until I see if there are any more issues.

Edited by debodun, 21 February 2020 - 01:16 PM.

Advertisements