Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

excel spreadsheets for w7

excel

• Please log in to reply

TOMMYgun3

TOMMYgun3

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi everyone, a long winded question please. I am an old user and have an acer aspire 5551-A laptop.

many years ago I created a set of spreadsheets in excel.

These have worked very well for me without any problems as such.

I too have heard that ms are fazing out windows 7...(gulp)

my question is if i need to move to a newer device (windows 10) will my spreadsheets still be of use???? :headscratch:  :headscratch:  :help:

I also have an acer tablet running on andriod system... when I run my windows spreadsheet on this an error appears in one of the columns saying:

This version of excel does not support running or interacting with form controls. any help or useful comments would be really appreciated

(Oh my head is aching lol!)

Den

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Den and welcome to our forums,

I too have heard that ms are fazing out windows 7...(gulp)

Microsoft are not fazing out Win 7..... but updates and security patches to the operating system will not be available from next week, so it would be correct to say that from then on it will not be given support by Microsoft.

Your computer will still continue to work but will become more vulnerable to infection if it is exposed to other data sources ( the Internet for example) so if you wish to continue using it then it will be Ok if not allowed to come into contact with other data sources, and your spreadsheets should be Ok.

If however you intend to, for example, use the computer for accessing the Internet then you will need to take careful precautions to try and ensure that your computer remains clear of infections/malicious code. As an absolute minimum make sure that your back up copies of everything that is important to you on your computer is 100% accurate, comprehensive, and verified to work!...

Check your disc images to make sure they are kept up to date and are reliable.... if you have any doubts then use something like, Macrium Reflect Free to take fresh disc images, make the emergency boot disc and keep several copies of your images with at least one kept safe offsite. A few external hard drives will come in handy here but don't keep them connected (plugged in) unless you are actually using them.

Your spreadsheets should work Ok if you decide you want to use Win 10 at some time,

Sorry I cannot help with your tablet and android operating system..... Maybe some other of our members know about these and will chime in.

Good luck

Regards

paws

TOMMYgun3

TOMMYgun3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Paws. a big thank you for that.

I do have copies but will make sure to make others and keep them safe.

Ref the Android system I really would like to be able to use the spreadsheets on the tablet, it would be very convenient to take away from home to use, so maybe someone will crack the problem.

Den

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Your excell sheets will work in MS 8. MS 8.1, MS 10. If you can't use microsoft office then you can use something like Open Office or Libre.