Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm going to have to make some tough decisions

Best Answer debodun , 30 January 2020 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for the tips. Yesterday I did a MBAM full system scan since I had to be out for a few hours. When I returned home, I saw the HD light was still on and thought the scan was still running... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Since I use Windows 7 and Microsoft support is now ending.

I can
1) continue to us Windows 7 and hope for the best,
2) get a new computer with Windows 10,
3) get a Chromebook and not have to worry about updates and security (however I don't know how to set that up or get it to connect to the Internet)
4) give up being Online

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

What about upgrading to Windows 10, folk are still doing so for free.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday debodom, 

An alternative is to see if a free upgrade to W10 may be OK for you.

Read this topic > http://www.geekstogo...view=getnewpost

If you have questions about the upgrade, please ask Rkinner, on that topic, as he has performed the upgrade himself.

Reply here and let us know how it goes. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Phill.

Your post uploaded while I was composing mine.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Gday Michael,

No worries but debodun will need the link here as the other is on the staff only forum.

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

Another alternative for you, is try out one of the Linux distros, and see whether that fulfils your OS needs or not.

Linux is not a direct "plug-in" replacement for Windows, and there is a definite learning cycle for people who have only ever used Microsoft products before, but it's not nearly as difficult to use as many people believe.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Thanks for all the advice.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Please let us know how things went, may help other people.

Did you perform the upgrade?

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

I am a coward when it comes to making changes, especially to my electronics. When the time comes, I will likely just get a new computer. The one I have now is a clunky old desktop I've had for 8 years and doesn't have much RAM. Selecting a new system seems more complicated than years ago, especially to choose what options to get - what processor, what speed, how much memory - so many more choices these days.

Thanks for following up.

Edited by debodun, 29 January 2020 - 08:49 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
 I am a coward when it comes to making changes, especially to my electronics. When the time comes, I will likely just get a new computer. The one I have now is a clunky old desktop I've had for 8 years and doesn't have much RAM. 

Lets see if we can prolong the life cycle of your present computer, do the following and one of us will get back to you;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Advertisements

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

For about a month now, my system seem to have a lot of lag, slow boot, slow shutdown, desktop icons slow to appear on desktop after boot and slow to open programs, Internet sites do not open quickly.

Things I have tried on my own that didn't help: refresh desktop, defrag, disk cleanup (got stuck on Windows Update Cleanup), MBAM scan (didn't find anything suspicious).

The system I have now was purchased as a refurb from a computer repair shop and they probably installed Windows 7 with a "blanket" license. I did not get any recovery or system disks with it.

I did this SPECCY scan a while ago, but no hardware had been altered.

Attached Thumbnails

• Speccy.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Can you post the requested Speccy url for us, your screenshot does not tell us anything useful I`m afraid, we need to be able to check the health of the hardware, temps/voltages and what if any programs you may have installed that are slowing things down.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Oops, sorry. You have to be patient - you're dealing with an old lady that isn't very tech savvy. Is this what you wanted?

http://speccy.pirifo...3Od0mXZhm6yz34R

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

That`s it, thanks  :thumbsup:

For its age all of your hardware looks to be ok and the performance issue/s that you mention are due to Windows 7 no longer being supported, this will be of a particular concern when it comes to connecting to the internet I`m afraid.

Use Magical Jelly Bean keyfinder (free) to obtain the Windows 7 key in use on the computer, write it down and keep it safe.

What I would suggest, back up all important data, get Windows fully up to date, create a new system restore point then see if you are able to do an inplace upgrade to Windows 10, the steps for this can be found here

Please note that Windows 7 needs to be fully up to date before attempting the inplace upgrade and if the upgrade should fail the best option would be to do a clean install of Windows 10 using a downloaded ISO, we will explain this for you if it is required.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thanks for the tips.

Yesterday I did a MBAM full system scan since I had to be out for a few hours. When I returned home, I saw the HD light was still on and thought the scan was still running. I turned on the monitor only to see that the scan had finished (no malicious items found, BTW), I looked at Task Manager and saw that Trusted Installer was running. I don't know what it could have been installing, but even so, it did not finish for about another 20 minutes.

Edited by debodun, 30 January 2020 - 11:56 AM.