Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

“No tracking” code?

website coding

• Please log in to reply

BerDov

BerDov

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Hello all,

I am not sure if this is the right forum. If not, please advise.

I have a web site (I am a pro photographer) designed from scratch using just the html code, no fancy stuff.

I would like to create a private directory, e.g. /personal/ to post family photos and other personal stuff that will not be accessible without a password, and that will not be open to search engines to index.

Googling “no google tracking code” produced nothing, except few suggestion how to achieve exactly the opposite.

Are there code examples anywhere that I could try to adopt to my needs? I am not a programmer but assume this task is doable.

Thank you!

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Hello all,

I am not sure if this is the right forum. If not, please advise.

I have a web site (I am a pro photographer) designed from scratch using just the html code, no fancy stuff.

I would like to create a private directory, e.g. /personal/ to post family photos and other personal stuff that will not be accessible without a password, and that will not be open to search engines to index.

Googling “no google tracking code” produced nothing, except few suggestion how to achieve exactly the opposite.

Are there code examples anywhere that I could try to adopt to my needs? I am not a programmer but assume this task is doable.

Thank you!

Might take a look at these if you haven't already:

12 Ways to Keep Your Content Hidden from the Search Engines

Preventing your site from being indexed, the right way

The only problem with some of these methods is that it depends on whether they are honored by the search engines. Some will; some will not and will index your site. Java use has gone with the Neanderthals. I would suggest using CAPTCHA, User/Password or NoFollow HTML tag.

For a photo album set up, I like using JAlbum. No affiliation with them but used theit software many times. They have many great free themes for displaying photos. All are coded for responsive website design.

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Thank you, AstraNut, I will follow your suggestions, will see how much I can do.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Thank you, AstraNut, I will follow your suggestions, will see how much I can do.

You're welcome. Let me know if there's something else I might be able to help with. I haven't kept up with HTML5 and CSS3 in close to a year but might be able to help with coding.

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Thank you again AstraNut,

It looks like I do need a bit of help.

When reading "12 Ways to Keep Your Content Hidden from the Search Engines", I understood that password protection (which I wanted anyway) is all I need since it "will effectively prevent any search engines from accessing content".

So, I searched for "hot to create password" and chose the wikihow page at https://www.wikihow....tect-a-Web-Page

Its Step 1 is to create a text file caleld < .htpasswd>. However, my PC does not allow creating a text file without the  .txt extension.  (when I created a .htpasswd.txt and tried to copy it on the web server, it did not accept it, of course).

So, I went to my web site. It can be accessed with Expression Web. I use a very old Version 3, but it still works with Win 7.

Then I went to File > New > ... which gives options for  > Page , HTML, ASPX, ASP, PHP, CSS.

So, where do I begin?

:)