Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Weird login screen behavior from Windows 10

windows 10 password login fake login screen

• Please log in to reply

daba

daba

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Greetings Geeks,

You may be familiar with the login screen on Windows 10, the one with the rock formation that you can kind of peer through. When you hit it, the login password window opens up. Recently it's being doing weird things. Infrequently, intermittently. One of the weird things is that after you've inputted the password it reverts back to the initial rock formation shot and you have to repeat it again at which point you can successfully log on. What's that about? Weird. There's no apparent pattern to when it will happen. Another weird thing, and it just happened again this evening which is what's prompted me to check it out with you experts is that - again at logon - after inputting the password it goes to a sky-blue screen and says 'wait a moment' and then after what seems like forever it asks you to complete a security question to get a code and re-set the password - even though you yourself have not instigated a password reset! It does it by itself. So I had a bit of a search and tried to disable password expiry but you can't do that on my machine. Anyway, there was never a password expiry set - at least not by me, which led me to a fit of paranoia and a search through the system log. I share a flat and wondered if my friend had been up to no good in my absence (what else are you going to think, aliens?) but the System log is clean which seems to rule that out unless he bypassed it somehow. During the time of my absence, there were no logged logons. So it's an annoying mystery at this stage. It was only a few weeks ago that this first happened, the instigation of a new password for login, I mean and here I am again having to change it at the behest of a machine. I'd prefer to be in charge of when I reset it myself. Why would this be happening? Any ideas? Any fix? THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ANY HELP.

Paranoid Daba

Advertisements