Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird login screen behavior from Windows 10

windows 10 password login fake login screen

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Maybe remove the graphics card?

Advertisements

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm stuck on the Safe Mode password page. It says the password is incorrect even though it's right (have them in a book). If I restart it just loops back to the password page. I'm locked out.

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
So I've changed my microsoft password via my phone and tried to use it instead of the PIN. It's still rejected as incorrect. So, a bit of a disaster. Would appreciate any fix, thanks.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Is there an option at the bottom of the Safe Mode login page to change how you login or words to that effect?  See if you can change it to use a PIN.

Another possibility and one I've had to use before is to download Win 10 to a USB drive, boot from it and do a repair install.

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

Download Tool now and follow the instructions.

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Thx. No such option. Will try to find a Microsoft shop. FYI:https://answers.micr...9a-d869fd1b10c5

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Hello there. Trust you are well. Found a Microsoft shop - it was closed. So sent laptop off to Dell. They've had it the past two weeks but failed to let me know that they needed my okay to lose all my data in order to do the new install, so it's just been sitting there. Should have it back next week with a bit of luck and hopefully working. My thoughts are going to how to best go forward with antivirus protection. If you recall, the trigger to this entire episode was trying to run the avira registry clean up utility to get rid of remnant bits  which were preventing something else needing to happen (can't recall what, now). Anyhow, since the free antivirus gave me so much grief I was considering paying for one. But then saw this which says today's Windows Defender is much improved on the past and that together with Malwarebytes (paid-version) is the way to go? What's your view? (Obviously, I won't be re-installing antivirus and still have the lurking suspicion that it somehow was to blame). Hopefully this link is not too sacrilegious: https://www.howtogee...er-good-enough/Thank you very much.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Windows Defender is pretty decent.  Unless you are doing dangerous things like P2P or hitting really questionable websites you should be OK.

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Hi. Dell said they can't repair the laptop because the plastic parts which support the motherboard are not available outside China - unbelievable! Had I known that, I wouldn't have bought it. They returned it, they said, unrepaired. After unpacking it just now, I was surprised to find that it powers up fine. So that's a mystery. Anyhow, I'm thinking of trying to do your suggested repair install. Problem is I'm using my mate's Hackintosh and so it's not compatible. There's a fix here: https://www.passfab....windows-10.htmlat least there would be if I knew someone with a PC. Anyway, at least it's powering up. I'll get there eventually. Thank you.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I've fixed the stuck in safe mode problem using the bootable USB drive I made off of:

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

Booted from it then had it do a repair and everything worked fine.

Course you do need a PC to create the bootable USB drive.  I suppose there might be a way to get a Mac to do it but I'm no expert on them.

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Thank you very much. My friend thinks he can use Linux on a USB to do the same. He's going to try tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Advertisements

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Hi there,

I said I'd update you, so here you go. After weeks using my mate's hackintosh he finally came back and helped me get my data off the laptop and install, LInux/Ubuntu. So that's what I'm going to be running for a bit. Hopefully, it will be less of a dog's breakfast than Windows 10/Avira and I can give you some peace.

Thank you for all your help and happy holidays.

David

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Thanks for the update.  Probably won't be much use on Linux.  Haven't used one in about 15 years.