Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor cleaner suggestions

Best Answer Kemasa , 23 January 2020 - 08:17 PM

I assume you don't understand the term "clean room". Do a web search to educate yourself as to what I was referencing. I am not assuming anything. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Hey all!

I am looking for a cleaning product that won't leave streaks behind after drying.

I have an Alienware - AW2518H 25" LED FHD G-SYNC Monitor and the monitor panel material sounds like I have sandpaper on my hand when I run my hand over it.... Per the user manual its a TN monitor, Flat panel display that has an active matrix, Thin-Film Transistor (TFT), Anti-Static coating? I tried using a microfiber cloth with Windex, left streaks. I tried using a shop towel with windex, left streaks. I tried using one of the lens cloths with windex, left streaks. They are clearly visible over the black parts and certain shades/tints that are produced by whatever game or project I am doing at the time. And they REALLY show up when the monitor is off, and my eye starts twitching because of it. Its like I cleaned with a dirty, really dusty cloth but they were not. All freshly out of the cabinet.

I came up with the idea of getting a wiper squeegee like the ones used for cleaning windows. Not sure if that's a good idea though?

Any ideas or suggestions that worked/works for you, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by heartgrave, 23 January 2020 - 04:16 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Search for monitor cleaning wipes. There are two issues, one is with the solution that you are using, windex, which I wouldn't suggest, and then the cloth that you are using. Either of which can cause a problem. You need to use materials which are intended to be used with monitors, although items used for glasses should also work. Often it is alcohol based, which evaporates without leaving much residual things on it.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

All the wipes I ever used left lint or wipe particles behind which I did not try to use on this monitor because of past experiences.

Edited by heartgrave, 23 January 2020 - 04:36 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

After cleaning it, you can also use a screen brush, and/or a small vacuum. It is hard to perfectly clean something that isn't in a clean room.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I don't like that you just automatically assume I have a dirty room because the wipes leave behind particles from the cloth or how that has anything to do with streaks being left behind. I sat there for close to an hour wiping that monitor to try and get the streaks out with different methods. The best I could do was use a dry microfiber cloth and pretty much buff them out.

Edited by heartgrave, 23 January 2020 - 06:30 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
✓  Best Answer

I assume you don't understand the term "clean room". Do a web search to educate yourself as to what I was referencing.

I am not assuming anything.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I get it now, sorry. :(