Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help deciding on Video Card

• Please log in to reply

spudZ

spudZ

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Howdy,

I'm building a new system, and need help with a PCI-E video card. I plan on spending no more then 400$ CAD. Here are the specs so far:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+
Motherboard: Asus A8V-E Deluxe
Memory: 1024mb Dual Channel
PSU: 500W

That basically sums it up. Thanks.

-spudZ :tazz:

Advertisements

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Video card 6600gt
i think this would fit nicly into your system :tazz:

Edited by RogueComGeek, 19 June 2005 - 04:48 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
6600GTs are the best of old tech, get a 6800 if you can afford (GT or Ultra), if you cant afford that go for the ati x800s they have alot of raw power with a price tag between a 6600 gt and a 6800 good. You might want to wait a wee bit the, 7 series is out in a few days and nothing pushes down prices like a new generation of cards. You might be able to afford one of the cheaper 7600 range in the 7 series but nvidia can be slow on distribution so you might need to wait a bit for it.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
6600GT can offer most the performance of the 6800Ultra, at half the price. I usually like using one generation old video card technology, because the price/performance ratio is so much better, and usually the video card technology is ahead of the games that support them. Not many games take advantage of all the features or performance of a 6800.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

I usually like using one generation old video card technology, because the price/performance ratio is so much better, and usually the video card technology is ahead of the games that support them. Not many games take advantage of all the features or performance of a 6800

I like that approach and the most stable drivers are out by then too

Rick

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yes but a 6600GT is really about 2 generations back now with the x800/850s having better specs out of the gate, and the upcoming 7 series and such, a 6600GT while the best drivers, has some big disadvantages: a 128-bit interface and only 128MB of ram the x800 range has double of both and so does the 6800s. And for the price of a 6600GT i would expect more.

I like established tech as well but the 6600GT are overpriced, well thats nvidia for ya. Im goin ati now unless the 6800GT falls into my price range.

spudZ

spudZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
This is the card I'm thinking of, because if i get this i might just upgrade my processor to a 4000+:

Asus 6600GT Top Overclock

Post what you think.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127172
Try that by far much more powerful although ive seen the HIS x800 iceq2 for less and it is a better card.
No point getting a gfx card that your going to have to replace soon, you want a balanced computer for playing games with a good gfx card and quality ram.
You might think of the san deigo 3700+ and clock it up to fx-57 standard if you can.

spudZ

spudZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yes that card may have 256mb memory and 256bit interface, but look at the clock speed, only 392mhz, compared to the 6600GT's 500mhz. The memory speed on the card is also only 700mhz, compared the the 6600GT's 1000mhz.

-spudZ

Edit: What's so good about the San Diego core anyways? Would the 3700+ San Diego be better then a 3800+ Venice?

Edited by spudZ, 20 June 2005 - 06:07 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The san diego has an extra 512Kb of L2cache which makes it better and can clock well but you know that you can easily overclock a 3500+venice to 3800+ standard and the same is actually true for all the venice cores. Get a san deigo if you can though it is a better cpu.

The clock speed isnt that important its performance if you think clock speeds are important why are you buying an AMD. The memory on the x800 is set slower than it is the HIS x800 has it clocked at more than 700Mhz anyway it uses samsung modules that same as the 6600GTs rated at 1000Mhz so you put them up easy peasy the HIS x800 has that lovely arctic cooler to give you peace of mind to.
The clock isnt as important as the interface the extra 128-bit interface is a big advantage of the 6600GTs read some reviews you will see that the even plain vanilla x800s of older types will stomp up and down on a 6600GT the newer vanilla x800s are almost as powerful as a 6800.

The only advantage is that the nvidias support pixel shader 3 thats why if you can afford it get a 6800 otherwise its a x800. 6600GTs are BAD value for money. But remeber it isnt all in the clock speeds, and clock speeds are easy changed.

Advertisements

spudZ

spudZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Alright thanks alot, I think I'm going to go for a 3700+ San Diego but i have one more question. Do you know how good i would be able to overclock one of those just using standard heatsink/fan in a 500W case with a fan in the back and in the front? Thanks

spudZ

spudZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
By the way this seems like a pretty good card...tell me what you think:

Radeon X800PRO

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looks a good one, if you manage to unlock the extra pipes it will be all the better it should be easy, can be done in software or you can flash it with a new bios. Remeber first off take your memory up to 1000Mhz as thats what its rated for so you should run it at that speed minimum.

Ive been doing a little bit of raking through some archived forums and it seems most 3700+ san diegos go to 2.75 GHz stable more or less depending on your batch, this is about 20% a nice overclock margin(it will go beyond that if you got a good one). At stock it is very cool and it stays that way when overclock so air cooling is fine for that kinda clocks. The 1meg cache i think is the limiter on how far it will go stable. Also unlike the lower venices the san deigos have less to go until they reach there maximum clock speed. If you are lucky and are blessed with a cpu from a good batch then it will go to 2.8 easy and be rock solid, you will then be the owner of a cpu of FX-57 standard.

spudZ

spudZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Alright...so how would I be able to unlock the extra pipes? Is there some kind of software that lets me do that? Thanks,

General Agony

General Agony

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Video card 6600gt
i think this would fit nicly into your system  :tazz:

View Post

that's a great video card. i use it in the system i built which is actually very similar to the one your building now. It cost me about $330-$360CND if im not mistaken. not the cheapest but it is within your budget and i like it. Not to mencion it comes with 2 free games, Theif and Special Ops (or something like that).

Edited by General Agony, 21 June 2005 - 04:32 PM.