Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help deciding on Video Card

• Please log in to reply

spudZ

spudZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yes I know it's a great card, but it only has 128megs of memory, and I don't feel like buying a new card next year because new games that require lots of video memory will be out. By the way, anyone know of any good Canadian online stores? I know newegg is probably the best place around but i don't know if I want to spend too much on shipping. Thanks,

-spudZ :tazz:

Advertisements

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
get a his x800xl it has a lot of firepower and overclocks well and easily out performs a geforce 6800gt

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
HIS make some of the best and are a the cheapest usually as well. which is good. There are a few different peices of software but i cant remeber the names off the top of my head, atitools i think might be one but i cant be sure.
X800xl is the same price as a 6800GT usually and if you can you should get the 6800 as it supports pixel shader 3.

General Agony

General Agony

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Yes I know it's a great card, but it only has 128megs of memory, and I don't feel like buying a new card next year because new games that require lots of video memory will be out. By the way, anyone know of any good Canadian online stores? I know newegg is probably the best place around but i don't know if I want to spend too much on shipping. Thanks,

-spudZ  :tazz:

View Post

well u can get stores to ship to you like

www.futureshop.ca
www.tigerdirect.ca
www.bestbuy.ca (might havent checked b/c i dont go to them much for comptuer stuff)
www.factorydirect.ca (they charge extra for shipping)

other than this i know of noone else.

spudZ

spudZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Ok I've decided...it's going to be the X800PRO, because I don't really feel like spending the money on a 6800GT or Ultra. Thanks everyone,

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dont be to hasty though the prices of 6 series cards will drop now the 7800s are out. (they are so cool it hurts ... 24 pipelines ... oh my!). You might just be able to afford one.

spudZ

spudZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yeah....I only wish I could have a 7800 ;) ;) ...Here's what my system looks like as of now: (note that all prices are in CND)

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego core: 445.99
Motherboard: Asus A8V-E Deluxe: 175.00
RAM: Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 (2 x 512mb): 189.00
Video Card: *Undecided*
Case: Antec Performance TX640B 18" Black ATX w/ 400W P.S: 129.95
Other Accesories (Monitor, speakers, etc.): 322.85

So yeah...if you add that all up it comes to around $1400 CND, which means i have 600 to spend on a video card, which I'm thinking is gonna be a 6800 Ultra. Any other suggestions? Thanks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The case antec just released a new version of the pro series with a 480W truepower psu which you will need as a 6800 ultra is a power guzzler. Also ASUS aint the best for AMD get yourself an ABIT or a MSI if you wanna save money Gigabyte and Epox are good as well but ASUS are at the bottom of the pile for AMD out of the better mobos.

spudZ

spudZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Alright...made some changes. First of all, this is the video card I think I'm gonna go with:

GeForce 6800GT

Motherboard: (I would go with Abit but my last computer and had some problems when i first bought it.)

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

So yeah...that's basically it, anyone know if my RAM will be compatible with this motherboard? Thanks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Check out the MSI one it has a nice black finish to it and good features the dynamic overclocking is supposed to be very good. Your ram is fine its the same stuff im getting myself i think.

Advertisements

spudZ

spudZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I looked at the MSI board...It looks nice but I think I'm gonna go with the A8N-SLI Deluxe. Friend has the exact same board and he loves it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Edit: What about the video card? Is it good for the money?

Edited by spudZ, 24 June 2005 - 10:28 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looks a good card i just never heard of the manufacturer and its in yankie money so i cant tell wether the value is good. Leadtek and XFX make the best and cheapest Nvidia over here anyway. Gainward are also cheap.

spudZ

spudZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Alright I'm gonna go for that card. Thanks alot warrior for the advice ;)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sure no problem was my pleasure, had been researching alot of the gfx stuff for myself recently anyway. Your gonna have a nice rig.

spudZ

spudZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Alright...so heres what my system is as of now:

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4

Motherboard

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego Integrated into Chip FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

Processor

RAM: Corsair XMS 1GB (2 x 512mb) Dual Channel Memory

Corsair RAM

Hard Drive: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B250S0 250GB

Hard Drive

Thats the basic stuff...but now I have another question (man this must get annoying ;) ), my motherboard says it has 8-channel audio, so does that mean that i can use up to 7.1 speakers? Thanks