Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help deciding on Video Card

• Please log in to reply

spudZ

spudZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Oh right I forgot...my video card is here:

eVGA 256-P2-N376-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

eVGA GeForce 6800GT

Advertisements

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I don't know if you were wanting to spend $400 on the video card itself or on the entire system.. It wasn't really clear..

If price is an issue, the ATI Radeon 9600 is a very good card and you s hould be able to find good price on it..

I am not a fan of NVidia's at all. I think ATI has grown up in the absence of 3dfx.

If you want to spend more money try something along the lines of the x800..

Anyways good luck.

And just get a video card that has enough memory to suit your purpose. Different makers will put the chip on their graphics board and put varying amounts of memory on it and quality.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah you will be able to use 7.1 speakers although if you are going to fork out the cash for decent 7.1 get a cheap audigy 2 card for better sound quality.

Still not an ASUS fan but im sure it will do the job more than adequately, have you ever thought about getting two HDs and putting them in a RAID 0 config, im planning on doing it as soon as i get more money the speed improvement is pretty impressive considering you are actually using two HDs instead of 1.

spudZ

spudZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yeah I'm planning to get another hard drive and put it in RAID 0 once I get the money for it...I don't plan on buying 7.1 speakers though I just wanted to know if they would work if I were to get some in the future, but I guess it's a better idea to just spend the money on a sound card...

-spudZ :tazz: