Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10- Antivirus software removal

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 01 February 2020 - 02:14 PM

Not sure what to make of this tbh, there is no way that there is an Acer motherboard in a HP notebook, they are opposing companies and their hardware therefore 100% incompatible, the Acer Aspi... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

JohnGo

JohnGo

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

I have a new hp laptop Model 15. It came pre-loaded with McAffee antivirus. I have successfully removed that.  I prefer to run Windows Defender which is currently enabled.. I don't find any other 3rd party antivirus in the registry or "add & remove programs".  I decided to run a Speccy scan to check for  any others that might not be visible. It shows Norton 360, Emisoft, and Avast in addition to Windows Defender.

I am linking to the Speccy report. Can you  review the report and advise me on the Antivirus section?  Also, any other items in the report that might need attention. 

http://speccy.pirifo...jSUuMfmGnHTTQBR

I thank you very much !!

JohnG 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello JohnGo,

Be happy to help you with this but have a question and a suggestion first;

Have you only just obtained this notebook.

If yes to the above question, have you thought about resetting Windows to get rid of all the rubbish that is presently on the drive, this option would be quicker and cleaner for you.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

I received this laptop about 45 days ago. I don't have many personal files on it yet. I do have most of my apps installed. I have looked at the options to clear this, and it appears that the best choice for me would be the one to reinstall windows which leaves all my files and deletes my apps. For the last while, I have been getting most all of the apps installed. Do you think this would be the easiest route for me?

However, As of now, I'm replying to you on my PC. After I sent the last post I got locked out of the laptop accidentally. I don't use a password, I ran " netplwiz" early on so I was able to  omit sign in at start up. I think I clicked something wrong when I was checking my options. I have researched and it appears there is a way to correct this but I don't actually understand from the tutorial. Can you guys help with is?

Naturally I will have to hold off on the problems from my first post until get back in the laptop.

JohnG.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

If you don`t use the "Remove everything" option you will be left with all of the previous users mess which possibly includes the multiple AVs which btw could require the help of the security experts to get rid of, Avast in particular can be a pain in the proverbial to get rid of even when using their avastclear tool.

Never used netplwiz but as far as I know it no longer works.

Sorry but helping with bypassing passwords is 100% against the GTG Terms of Use regardless of the circumstances.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

OK. I totally understand about the password. If I choose to reinstall windows and lose my files and apps, will the computer generate Windows automatically? I didn't receive a disc when I bought the computer.

JohnGo

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Windows 10 effectively clean installs itself when you use the "Remove everything" option, in addition to this you should also create your own Windows 10 media a guide to which you will find here

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Ok. Thanks for the advice. When I get this all worked out, I'll address the laptop again.

JohnGo

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No problem but before you go, have you checked to see if there is a recovery partition on the notebook, if not, restart the notebook while continually tapping the F11 key.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

I was not aware of tapping F11 to enter Recovery. Good to know.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

It will only help if the option is still there,some folk delete them for some unknown reason and being that you got the computer used any recovery partition could have been erased, hence the reason why it was said "have you checked to see if there is a recovery partition on the notebook,"

Advertisements

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

I must have misled you. I ordered the laptop new from hp. I haven't noticed a recovery partition in the drive directory with  "C" drive and "CD/DVD drive, etc. I remember having that is Vista years ago.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Just a bit and not for the reason that you are thinking either, had a feeling that something was amiss here so did a double check on the thread, the notebook in your OP and mentioned in your reply #11 above is the HP brand but if you check the Speccy url in your OP it is for an Acer Aspire E5-511  :headscratch:

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Oh well, if the Acer Aspire is dependable it will probably be adequate for me. I suppose it's normal for brand name computer manufacturers to use various brands of internal parts..   It does read hp on the machine exterior. I stated in my first post that I ordered it from hp but I actually ordered it new from an online shopping site.

The Speccy report is from this laptop.By the way should I close out the post because it was originally about the laptop and due to locked out circumstances I'm not sure I will return to post more about this?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
✓  Best Answer

Not sure what to make of this tbh, there is no way that there is an Acer motherboard in a HP notebook, they are opposing companies and their hardware therefore 100% incompatible, the Acer Aspire E5-511 was also released over five years ago running Windows 8.1, wherever you purchased this computer from I just hope that they are legit else you may end up with a rather expensive paperweight on your desk.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I am concluding this post.
Thank you.
JohnGo