Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 constantly "churning" (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 07 February 2020 - 11:30 AM

Yep that`s it and after taking only a glance we can see the potential cause of your issue, you have multiple AVs installed, see canned explanation below as to why this is bad; AntivirusWebroot... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

tbrat674

tbrat674

• Pip
  • 9 posts

I have a Dell "All-In-One"  Inspriron One 2320 that is about 8 years old. I upgraded to Windows 10 last fall, and ever since, my computer sounds like it is constantly trying to open a program..."churning", if you will. I have performed virus scans, which came up with clean. I have performed disk clean-up a couple of times, and it still sounds like it's churning. Now, programs take quite a while to open. Is there something I can do to "fix" this?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

:welcome:    tbrat674,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

tbrat674

tbrat674

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...DSfE6eGNHCci8ll

I'm hoping that's what you are asking for?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
✓  Best Answer

Yep that`s it and after taking only a glance we can see the potential cause of your issue, you have multiple AVs installed, see canned explanation below as to why this is bad;

Antivirus
Webroot SecureAnywhere
Antivirus: Enabled
Company Name: Webroot
Product Version: 9.0.26.61
Virus Signature Database: Up to date
Windows Defender
Antivirus: Enabled
McAfee VirusScan
Antivirus: Disabled

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 come with an improved Windows Defender, it offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender also shares the same malware signature definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials, and Forefront Endpoint Protection. Technically, Microsoft Security Essentials has not been renamed Windows Defender, or combined with it in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. (Courtesy of admin)

Having more than one AV installed on your computer is bad, it will slow down the computer, cause internet connection problems and leave you with no AV protection at all if they cancel each other out as they fight for resources.

If any AV product that you have is a paid for version you should always make sure that you have a copy of the product key kept somewhere safe just in case you ever wish to reinstall it.

Create a new system restore point and then get rid of McAfee and Webroot using the information below;

McAfee product removal tool  (MCPR) here

Webroot uninstall info here

Once both third party AVs have been correctly uninstalled, check to see if Windows Defender has auto enabled and allow it to update and carry out a full scan of your computer, restart the computer and test.  

Got to head out for an hour or so but will check back when I return to see how things are going, I will also have the time to have a proper look at the Speccy report.

tbrat674

tbrat674

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Neither of those "uninstall" methods would work, so I went to the application list and uninstalled from there. I restarted my computer and they aren't showing up any longer. Windows Defender shows "on", but it did not perform a full scan. I will re-start again and see if that works.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
Any improvement at all?

Sorry, should have also asked you to post an updated Speccy url once you had carried out the above steps, can you do this for us now.

Couple of other pointers in your first Speccy report.

Windows is well out of date and this puts you at risk of malware attack, you need to get Windows fully up to date asap, we are up to version 1909 now + there have been a few cumulative updates since then.

There is high memory usage showing, the multiple AVs were most likely the cause, the updated Speccy report will tell us if the usage has improved or not.

Physical Memory
Memory Usage: 76 %
Total Physical: 3.91 GB

tbrat674

tbrat674

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Here is an updated Speccy report: http://speccy.pirifo...mRLf4ip6M1znhLp

I did run a "check for updates" on Windows yesterday as well and there was only one update, but it wasn't a critical one. There was one "optional" update so I'll go ahead and download that one as well, then re-post the updated Speccy afterwards if you'd like?

There has been a slight change. I don't seem to hear the churning near as much, and programs seems to be responding a little quicker. I know it'll never be lightning fast because it's an older computer, but I'm hoping to get more years out of it.

tbrat674

tbrat674

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Here is the new Speccy report after I installed the 1909 update http://speccy.pirifo...7VSsBTxErMTivIK

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

Good news that you are now running 1909, only a couple more to do along the way and you will be fully up to date.

The memory use has come down but we can still see McAfee WebAdvisor in Speccy,see if you can find and delete it using either method but if not post back here and let us know and we can suggest another way.

Long term, the best way to improve the overall performance would be to upgrade the RAM, because you only have a single stick the RAM is only working at half of the speed that it is capable of, no need to do it now but should you decide to do the upgrade take a look at the info here

tbrat674

tbrat674

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I tried to uninstall McAfee WebAdvisor, but it's not showing up on my program list. Is there somewhere else I can find it?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

Post an Autoruns log for us, see here  

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the "Hide Signed Microsoft and Windows Entries” option.

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop > when you click on File > Save you will then get the option to Save as type, click the drop down tab, change it to Text and then click the Save button.

6: Attach to your next reply.

Tutorial here

tbrat674

tbrat674

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I was able to download the McAfee Removal Tool and I think it worked? http://speccy.pirifo...IHHbNxmLGs2Q02N

Also, I didn't see "Hide Signed Microsoft and Windows Entry" option, but there were separate options: "Hide Empty Locations", "Hide Microsoft Locations", "Hide Windows Locations". I assumed these were what you wanted me to "check", so I did.

I hope I did this correctly. Please let me know if I did something wrong

Attached Files

Edited by tbrat674, 08 February 2020 - 10:53 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

It is still there in Speccy if you check;

Stopped: McAfee WebAdvisor

To get rid of it, take a look at the To Disable or Delete? info here and then delete the entry below in Autoruns, restart the computer, run Speccy and check for yourself to make sure that it is gone, no need to post the url if it is gone btw.

"McAfee WebAdvisor" "McAfee WebAdvisor: McAfee WebAdvisor Service" "" "File not found: C:\Program Files\McAfee\WebAdvisor\ServiceHost.exe" "" ""

tbrat674

tbrat674

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I did what you suggested above and re-ran Speccy and it is gone now. Thank you for your help on this. I have upgraded my RAM to 8GB and am contemplating upgrading my hard drive to a SSD, but that'll be at a later date :) Again, thank you for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

Great, anything else you need from us?

You are welcome btw  :)