Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Questions about using Avast, Malwarebytes, and Windows Security all on

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

wayneman50

wayneman50

• PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
I have a brand new Dell Windows 10 PC. I read geekstogo’s “Answers to common security questions - Best Practices”. I am still left with some questions about anti-virus and anti-malware programs. I currently have installed: Avast (free version), Malwarebytes (free version) and of course Windows Security.  I have changed none of the settings in any of them. Regarding the Malwarebytes, I am not clear: should I purchase the real time protection or not? (The vendor is only confusing me more by informing me: "With Malwarebytes offering protection and peace of mind in one lightweight, affordable cybersecurity program - what more do you need?") Do I need real-time to protect against malware or will that functionality interfere with Avast? And is Windows Security interfering with anything? Do I need all these?  Your recommendations please.

Thank you.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Hello,

When you install Avast Windows security automatically turns off to avoid conflicts. Personally I believe Windows security is all you need in windows 10. It's how I run my machine.The less 3ed party software the better for windows. I don't do any risky surfing, visit weird sites or anything. I use the computer for work, a bit of shopping and some banking. I'm not much at risk and feel confident the way my machine is set up.

zep

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

If it were me, I too would ditch Avast and just use Windows Security.

See ... https://www.bleeping...ing-users-data/

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Would you ditch malwarebytes too?

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

If I were using Windows Security for my real-time-protection, then I would keep Malwarebytes, but use it only as an on-demand scanner.

It's neither necessary, nor good practice to have more than one defensive program offering real-time-protection, however a stand-alone scan, that you can use when you believe your computer may have been at risk, is a useful thing to have available.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

If I uninstall Avast from Apps & Features, is that sufficient to get rid of it? I read somewhere on “Answers to common security questions - Best Practices” that that may not completely delete it.

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

Personally I'd use Avast's Uninstall Utility to remove it ... https://support.avas...tivirus-Utility... it generally does a better job.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I'm following the steps. When I get to "Restart your computer in safe mode?", I respond "yes". I then get a message "Your computer will now start in Safe mode". I click OK. Nothing happens. I tried it twice. So I read the instructions on starting in safe mode manually, but it states You may be asked to enter your BitLocker recovery key. I've never heard of bitlocker, but I looked at it on my PC and it is Off. So I shouldn't need a recovery key, right?

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

You'll only be asked for a BitLocker key if you have encrypted your hard drive. If you haven't then you shouldn't be asked.

BitLocker is Microsoft's built in Disk Encryption software, which can be used to encrypt your hard drive if you wish to do so. Personally, I recommend to people that they do not use it unless they have a compelling need to do so, because if things go wrong with your computer, it makes recovering things almost impossible.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Ok. Do you know why the Avast uninstaller is not restarting my PC? Do I now have to go with doing it manually?

Advertisements

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

Yes, you're probably going to have to boot into Safe Mode manually ....

For W10 ... https://support.micr...pc-in-safe-mode

For W8 or 8.1 ... http://windows.micro...tings-safe-mode

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Before I uninstall Avast, I just remembered that in addition to using it for anti-virus, I also use its Software Updater function to check for and update out of date software. Can you recommend another software to do that function?

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

I use Patch My PC ... https://patchmypc.co...pdater-download... it's simple to use, and has not given me any problems.

Usage instructions can be found at ... https://patchmypc.co...r-documentation

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I followed the instructions up to:After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.

I clicked Restart. Now the PC seems unresponsive. I have a blank screen and the power light on the monitor is going in and out. The power on the PC shows On. I have clicked the mouse and pressed Shift and Enter. Nothing.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I followed the instructions up to:After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.

I clicked Restart. Now the PC seems unresponsive. I have a blank screen and the power light on the monitor is going in and out. The power on the PC shows On. I have clicked the mouse and pressed Shift and Enter. Nothing.