Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will a new mobo fit in old vostro 400?

• Please log in to reply

motherboardbsok

motherboardbsok

• Pip
  • 1 posts

core 2 quad q6600 vostro with this mobo:http://grea-ter.blog...ifications.html

it says dimensions are 9.6 in by 9.6in. I am trying to replace that with a i3 8100 and a https://www.amazon.c...82565973&sr=8-1

and was wondering whether or not this would fit. I would buy a new case but only have money for mobo, and the psu will work as well. Thoughts?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome:   motherboardbsok,

ASUS PRIME H310M-E R2.0 specs here say;

Form Factor
mATX Form Factor
8.9 inch x 7.3 inch ( 22.6 cm x 18.5 cm )

Honest answer is that you would be better to wait until you have sufficient funds available to replace not only the case but the PSU, the Dell Vostro 400 is dated technology and back in those days they used propriety components so chances are that the stand offs inside the case will not be compatible with any modern MB.

Not mentioned above, GPU, RAM, storage device or an operating system such as Windows 10, you may already have a SATA storage device that you can use but the least expensive good quality RAM and Windows 10 will cost a minimum of $135 US, an example list of parts here and based on your proposed CPU and MB, list is minus any GPU as allowed for you using the onboard and no storage device as you may already have one.