Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to check if GPU is dead? (No signal from GPU)

• Please log in to reply

axl2468

axl2468

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Hello!

So I have a GTX 1050 that suddenly stopped working after using it for a little more than a year. It was working fine a week ago, I was even able to play games properly on it with no noticeable problems (like screen artifacts). Then recently I've been getting a black screen when the monitor is connected to the video card (no POST screen, nothing). I don't think this is a problem with the motherboard or any other components though, because I can connect the monitor to the integrated graphics without any problems. In addition, the GPU fans work properly.

This is what I've tried so far:

1. Reseated the GPU (multiple times)

2. Tested the GPU in a different computer (had same symptoms)

3. Cleaned the GPU

4. Uninstalled drivers using DDU

5. Attempted to reinstall drivers (Nvidia's installer did not detect the GPU)

How do I check if my GPU is really dead? RMA isn't really an option for me since I couldn't find a way to do that in the country that I live in (Philippines) and the box for my GPU is missing. The only options that I have (both that I want to be a last resort) is to either use the "oven" method (or try to have it fixed in a local shop) and/or just buy a cheapo $10-20 used GPU to use temporarily (I'm strapped for cash, I'm a student).

Help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday axl2468.

You have just about tried all the options a home user can use.

If no result trying the below, I would say the gpu is faulty

A different slot on the MB, if available.

All the GPU outlet ports.

Different cables, if the monitor supports them. 

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

As  already stated you tested everything you could. The fact that you had the exact symptoms in another computer tells me it is the GPU card.