Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to disable/enable auto-arrange icons in Win 10?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

BerDov

BerDov

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

If this has been answered before, please point to that discussion as I could not find it.

This used to be an option in a folder setting which has disappeared in Win 7 I think.

The only solution that I found so far is to run a .bat file.

See https://www.tenforum...ndows-10-a.html

I do not know if it a safe option as I am not a pro.

Is there a 3rd party app by any chance which creates an alternative folder view with an option to manually arrange icons?

Thank you!

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi BerDov

Try this:

1 Place your cursor on a blank area of your desktop

2 Right Click (Note, it must be a Right click) and select View

3 Look at the last 3 items in the drop down menu and place a tick( checkmark) as required or remove!

Post back and let us know if this does the trick for you.

Regards

paws

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Thank you, paws,

but you are talking about the desktop. No problem there. I want the same option in the win explorer (whatever it's called now) that shows contents of each folder/subfolder.

Ber Dov

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

OK understood..

I don't think that Win 10 has an easy way of achieving that, however you may be able to get a satisfactory workaround by trying the following:

1 Open your folder

2 Click on view

3 Click on large icons

4 Click on Sort by and see if any of the options appeal

5 You could also click on Group by and see if it contains anything that may help

If these actions don't achieve what you want then I'm sorry but I cannot suggest anything further.

Regards

paws

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

I actually found a quick and dirty workaround. Will describe it a bit later when I have 5 min.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

:thumbsup:

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Here is what worked.

I needed to quickly put together a photo book to order from one of the online companies, about 100-120 pictures. In order to "tell a story" they had to be arranged by me, not by Microsoft.

Since all programs display a view, similar to Windows' Explorer when we click on the [open] button to search for a file to  open, that's what I did, using WordPerfect of all things.  Its own View menu allowed me to uncheck AutoArrange and also select more than one icon to drag around.

Once the icons were arranged, I took several screen shots to use as guides when laying out the book online.

Writing this, gave me an idea to search for a "story board" application. Perhaps, they exist. Project for another day.

Have a great weekend!

Edited by BerDov, 06 March 2020 - 05:06 PM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Ah... good solution and thanks for sharing

:thumbsup:

Now I'm clear what you are trying to achieve, I hve had similar success in the past by renaming the files with a prefix ie 001garden.jpg, 002 garden.jpg

etc etc.

Its easy to do a "group rename" so to speak.

Regards

paws