Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Up for a challenge?

• Please log in to reply

ejay563

ejay563

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi,

The fan on my heatsink was starting to go dead, so I pulled out the heatsink to put in a new one. Wehn I pulled the heatsink out, the processor was stuck on the bottom of the heatsink with thermal compound. I took it off, and put in the other heatsink. Now when I turn on the computer, the hard drive spins, but nothing appears on the monitor. Any ideas to what is going on?

comp specs:
Dell Dimension 2300
Intel celeron 1.7ghz (socket 478)
Mobo: ??? like they'd tell you.

I thnk that's all the info you need, if you need more let me know.

Thanks so much for your help.

ERik

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Wow, you played with your dell that is really dicing with death there im surprised that the cpu wasnt soldered to the board. I would check all your connections if you are playing around inside the pc you can occasionaly nock something loose.
Although the uber computer geeks will help you more with real advice i always like to check the obvious by making sure everything has been reconnected properly.

ejay563

ejay563

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Yep, everything's connected, and still, nothing. I've done this before, so i don't know why this happened this time. Any other ideas?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Most obvious is you have damaged the cpu its a possibility, but im afraid i cant think of anything that isnt drastic. Do you get any error noises/beeps from the motherboard?

ejay563

ejay563

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
No, thereare no error noises from the motherboard. Would a damaged cpu stop video output tho? One would think that the mortherboard would put out some kind of an error messageon the screen?

Hawker

Hawker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
so i assume the CPU fan is dead....am i right?

reseat your ram, and make sure your CPU fan (if it isnt running) is plugged into the mobo.

and did you apply more thermal compound? some heatsink/fan combos come with it on, some dont..