Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade to Pro

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 07 March 2020 - 07:35 AM

For single use licence keys you cannot use a product key from one computer on any other computer unless the product key is the full retail type and only if Windows has been uninstalled from the ori... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

busdriver12

busdriver12

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

I've recently acquired a laptop which had Windows 10 Home installed on it. After doing a lot of research on how to de-bloat and reduce spying/telemetry, I've come to the realization that I need to upgrade to Pro to get more control of my machine,

I've seen some articles/web pages which state I can upgrade for free provided I have an old key for pro/ultimate etc. My desktop dual boots between Win 7 (Home Premium) and Linux and was wondering can I use that Win 7 key or am I stuck with paying for the upgrade.

Just seeing what my options are.

TIA

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer

For single use licence keys you cannot use a product key from one computer on any other computer unless the product key is the full retail type and only if Windows has been uninstalled from the original computer first. 

Brand name computers such as Dell & HP etc purchase volume licence keys which are all tied to the MBs on the computer that Windows was installed on, if you were to try using such a licence key on any other computer than what it is registered to you will get locked out of updates and have an activation warning on the desktop.

busdriver12

busdriver12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

For single use licence keys you cannot use a product key from one computer on any other computer unless the product key is the full retail type and only if Windows has been uninstalled from the original computer first. 

Thanks for the reply - I sort of had an idea that would be the case but wanted to explore my options. It would appear the only way to get to Pro is purchasing an upgrade. Considering how the $AUS is sliding against the $US this is not a good option at present and looks like I'll have to muddle on with Home for the time being.

:cheers:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts