Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply

thefunkymunky

thefunkymunky

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Hello!!!

I have a Toshiba Satellite L655-S5157. Recently a new hard drive was installed and for awhile ) about one month) it seemed everything was alright. But now when I go to start up the lap top this is what happens. Start up then it goes to the splash screen then to a black screen telling me that "Windows Has Failed to Launch Startup". Recent hardware or software changes may be the problem. Then it gives me an option to Launch Startup Repair. When I click that option the screen goes black then the computer shuts off. Would someone please advise?

Thank you

tazzi

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Support.Microsoft.com > Recovery options in Windows 10

thefunkymunky

thefunkymunky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Hello SpywareDr!

My apologies for the big delay in responding back to your response but I have been in the hospital dealing with the Covid19 virus. I am back home...thank God...feeling much better and believe that I will be fine. I believed when they told me I had the virus that I wasn't long for this world as I have a severely compromised immunity system because of Lupus and Crohns and only have 20% lung functionality due to COPD, but by Gods good graces here I am.

Anyhoo, after reading your answer I realized that I didn't specify my OS which is Windows 7. I also failed to mention that my knowledge and expertise in computer techiness is minimal so the simpler the better if at all possible. I hope that you will respond back despite it being about a month and a half. I thank you in advance for all your time and attention in this matter. Stay well and peace to you and yours.......

tazzi

:-) 

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

No problem with the delay ... I'm way too old to be in a hurry.

Sorry to hear about all of your health issues. Good to hear you're back home and feeling better!

With the information you have provided, these would be my next steps. Your Windows 7 DVD (or USB flash drive) contains Bootrec.exe which can be used to troubleshoot startup issues. Instructions here:

Support.Microsoft.com > Use Bootrec.exe in the Windows RE to troubleshoot startup issues

If you don't have a Windows 7 DVD (or USB flash drive),

Note: If your computer's hard drive (or SSD) is failing, Bootrec.exe will not be of any help. The drive would need to be replaced first, and then use the Windows 7 DVD (or USB flash drive) to install Windows 7.

Edited by SpywareDr, 21 April 2020 - 08:31 AM.

thefunkymunky

thefunkymunky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Awesome sauce!!! Ive got a full day already but I will try to get to this evening. I so do appreciate you and your generosity of knowledge. Peace Out!!!

tazzi

:-) 

thefunkymunky

thefunkymunky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Hello again SpywareDr.,

Ive finally gotten to checking out your advice and WOOOeeeee.....Im so confused and have no clue where I should start. I clicked on the first link, the Bootrec.exe. Ive read how to run it but when it gets to the option Im lost. It offers /FixMbr, /FixBoot, /ScanOs,/RebuildBcd. If you would be so kind as to direct me in the right direction Ill be forever greatful not to mention forever in your debt....smiles4you. Stay well and peace to you and yours...

tazzi

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

At the command prompt, type:

C:

and press [Enter]. Then type:

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /scanos

bootrec /rebuildbcd

and press [Enter].

Now see if the computer will reboot from the hard drive and load Windows 7 like it normally use to.

Edited by SpywareDr, 29 April 2020 - 10:06 AM.

thefunkymunky

thefunkymunky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Hello SpywareDr:

I hope that this message finds you in the best of health as well as the greatest os spirits! Sorry for the delay in responding back but I had to find my repair/install disc fo the toshiba. Microsoft wouldnt help me out with the download because they couldnt validate my copy of windows 7 because when I bought my computer (from Office Depot) windows 7 was already installed. They told me to go there for any help. Anyhoo, I finally found the discs and I tried to do as you asked but the computer just doesnt stay on. Could it be a hibernation issue? Or maybe, Ive noticed that the battery light is red not whitish/blue, and it stays on that color all the time.

Thank you

tazzi 

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

The battery light constantly staying red would lead me to believe that the battery is either dying or not getting power, or possibly the system is overheating and then shutting down so it won't potentially start a fire.

Test the DC voltage coming out of the power cable (with a multimeter) to make sure it is providing the proper voltage. Often times what the charger should be sending to the laptop is printed on the charger.

As far as overheating, the laptop would need to opened up and all of the dirt and dust cleaned out and if it's an old unit, say 5 years or older, the thermal grease sandwiched between the CPU and heatsink/cooler may need to be replaced.

PS - When blowing out all of the grit in a computer with clean compressed air, use a toothpick, popsicle stick or plastic|paper straw to keep the fan from overspinning. Spinning them faster than they were designed to spin can seriously damage the fan's bearings.