Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Troubleshooter prevented from running (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 06 April 2020 - 08:38 AM

Hello Buffyfan One more easy thing to try and then we may have to get serious   Download then run the Windows All in One Repair tool from here, disregard the malware guidance but fol... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Buffyfan

Buffyfan

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hi, trying to run troubleshooter and on all apps get an error which says "A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting"  The error code is 0x80070005.  Windows Update won't connect and hasn't updated since August last year, so was trying to use troubleshooter.  Windows ver 1903 OS Build 18362.295

I've tried a heap of things off the net, starting crypto service, disable UAC, firewall and AV services,, etc, but no go.  System restore only goes back to the start of March, picking I would need something from last year.  Am logged in as administrator.  Any help appreciated 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello Buffyfan,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Buffyfan

Buffyfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Ok thanks, speccy details here http://speccy.pirifo...ighmG7MDZBUzTVX

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Windows Update won't connect and hasn't updated since August last year, 

Speccy does not show any updates ever having been installed so this has been broken since Installation Date: 9/08/2019 7:18:45 PM

How was this installation done, was it a free in place upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 or was it done using a genuine Windows 10 DVD or a downloaded ISO, if an ISO, from where was the ISO obtained, can you answer this for us and then move onto the below.

First suggestion is that you get rid of Avast as it has become somewhat of a monster in that unless you do a custom install Avast foists all sorts of unwelcome extras on unsuspecting users such as browser plug ins that cause connectivity issues, see info below;

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 come with an improved Windows Defender, it offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender also shares the same malware signature definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials, and Forefront Endpoint Protection. Technically, Microsoft Security Essentials has not been renamed Windows Defender, or combined with it in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 (This explanation courtesy of admin).

Having more than one AV installed on your computer is bad, it will slow down the computer, cause internet connection problems and leave you with no AV protection at all if they cancel each other out as they fight for resources.

If any AV product that you have is a paid for version you should always make sure that you have a copy of the product key kept somewhere safe just in case you ever wish to reinstall it.

You can uninstall Avast in the Control  Panel but should you have any problems see Avast clean removal info here Please create a new system restore point first.

Once any other AV has been correctly uninstalled, check to see if Windows Defender has auto enabled and allow it to update and carry out a full scan of your computer.  

You should also change the update options in Windows so that it checks for updates for any other MS product such as your MS Office.

Buffyfan

Buffyfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hi, PC I think came with W8 installed and it was a free in-place upgrade to 10 at some stage (certainly well before August last year)

Restore point created and Avast removed.  Does this mean that Windows Defender is suitable as total virus/malware defence?  Currently running full scan.  Thanks for your help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

We will have to wait on the outcome of the Defender scan, if Defender is able to update Windows itself is more likely to be able to, we are only interested in the update process and are not checking for malware as that is something that only the malware staff deal with.

Windows Defender & Firewall will adequately protect your computer but keep in mind that the person looking at the computer is the best form of defence, not suggesting that you do either but folks can stay safer by avoiding torrents and cracked software etc.

Buffyfan

Buffyfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Ok full scan completed, took just over an hour.  No threats found

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Did you misread my reply #6?

we are only interested in the update process and are not checking for malware as that is something that only the malware staff deal with.

Did Windows Defender check for and/or install any updates.

Buffyfan

Buffyfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Info that may or may not be relevant - despite the fact that my user is an Admin, it doesn't let me open services.msc.  I can open in the PC admin user, but windows troubleshooter and therefore update still won't run under that user

Buffyfan

Buffyfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

I ran a check for updates in Defender prior to restarting after Avast removal.  When it restarted, it checked the disk and found no errors.  Defender updates were initially from 2 days ago, now have run again and showing version just under 6 hours old 

Advertisements

Buffyfan

Buffyfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Did you misread my reply #6?

we are only interested in the update process and are not checking for malware as that is something that only the malware staff deal with.

No, I don't think so?  Was there some other info you need?  Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

You post the outcome of a malware scan which we cannot discuss on these forums and did not tell us whether or not Windows Defender had updated which was what we really needed to know.

Can you post a new Speccy urlfor us.

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page + it avoids filling up folks inbox. 

Buffyfan

Buffyfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Ah ok sorry about that.  Defender updates now 6 hours old.  New Speccy

http://speccy.pirifo...dizwzKovJiGw3Cw

Cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Your latest Specct report shows you still have Avast installed + there are no Defender updates listed.

Antivirus
Avast Antivirus
Antivirus: Enabled
Virus Signature Database: Up to date
Windows Defender
Antivirus: Enabled
Virus Signature Database: Up to date

Got an early start tomorrow so going offline now I`m afraid.

Buffyfan

Buffyfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Ok thanks, can't for the life of me get Avast to uninstall to the point where Speccy doesn't show it, so will start another thread on how to do that in that section.  Will get back to you with Speccy once I've managed it.  Cheers