Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Thunderbolt–USB adaptor for MacBook Pro

• Please log in to reply

sue.words

sue.words

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

I bought a MacBook Pro last October, one of the deciding factors for me being the Thunderbolt ports. I noted that Apple offered adaptors for peripherals with other types of connection but thought I'd delay buying any of these for a while.

I'd now like to buy an adaptor to enable me to connect something with a USB cable.

Apple's USB–Thunderbolt adaptors are very expensive but I have found some adaptors that look suitable for under £10 on eBay. (There are also many non-Apple adaptors that are fearsomely expensive.)

Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy the least expensive USB–Thuderbolt cable I can find?

Could a cheap adaptor damage the peripheral or the MacBook?

Also, I am confused by the reference to USB a, b and c. Is this refinement I really need to get to grips with? and if so, how?

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,333 posts

Hello sue. words

Some good reading that answers a lot of your questions better then I could...

https://appleinsider...new-macbook-pro

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Hello zep516

It is very kind of you to refer me to an article that is full of detailed information and clearly extremely authoritative. Unfortunately I am totally overwhelmed by it!

I tried to read it carefully but it is really very technical and I struggled to maintain my concentration.

Anyhow, I'm afraid that at the moment I don't know whether your answer is roughly "Yes, go ahead, buy a cheap one" or "No, don't touch anything costing less than about £40."

Could you possibly give me in broad terms your advice and then I promise I'll try much harder to read all the details in the article in the light of what you say?