Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install Windows 10 on Laptop: 0xc0000428 (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer ARK24 , 25 April 2020 - 02:44 PM

Alright, the DVD arrived. I put it in and get the message "Press any key to boot form CD or DVD..." after which I press a random key on my keyboard and nothing happens, the screen changes and shows... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

ARK24

ARK24

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

I'm trying to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my msi laptop (model MS-16GD) but keep running into problems. The HDD had been wiped (it had Windows 10 installed on it prior) and my only other computer is a MacBook Pro running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6. So I followed this guide to create a bootable USB (on my ADATA HV620) with a Windows 10 ISO downloaded from here. Whenever I boot into the USB device, I'm presented with this error:

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
The digital signature for this file couldn't be verified

Error Code: 0xc0000428

IMG-2525.jpg

Edit: However, before I even get this error, I'm presented with this error:

Secure Boot Violation
Invalid signature detected. Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup.

I can click "Ok" and then I reach that above error.

Edited by ARK24, 21 March 2020 - 06:49 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello ARK24,

Make sure that your USB device is connected to a USB 2.0 port and not the faster 3.0 type.

For computers that have UEFI as opposed to legacy BIOS, to be able to boot from your USB device you may need to disable secure boot and change UEFI to CSM Boot, not all computers and BIOS are the same, please refer to your user manual if you have one as the following steps are only one such example.

Power up or restart the computer continually tap or hold down the key that will allow you to access the BIOS on your computer and then do the following;

Select Security -> Secure Boot and then Disabled.

Select Advanced -> System Configuration and then Boot Mode.

Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.

Save the changes and Exit the BIOS, commonly F10. 

ARK24

ARK24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Hey phillpower2, thanks for the response. I followed all your suggestions and still end up with the same error (although now I don't see the "Secure Boot Violation" error I mentioned earlier). For boot mode, I was only given the options of UEFI, Legacy, and UEFI with CSM, I chose the latter—not sure if UEFI with CSM, as opposed to just CSM, will make a difference.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello ARK24,

Can you try the legacy option for us.

ARK24

ARK24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

When I do that, I'm presenting with this screen on boot:
CgTT5Ks.jpg

When I press a key, nothing happens and it just keeps repeating the same messages you see above.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

The boot sequence in the BIOS needs to be USB device first and the HDD second, can you check to make sure that it is, your screenshot is showing that the BIOS is set to boot from a Network device.

ARK24

ARK24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Did it:

7gUFYzF.jpg

Still getting the same errors as before, maybe the USB HDD isn't being detected for some reason in legacy boot mode?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Never used it on a mac but see if you are able to check your Windows 10 ISO using Qemu, see info here

ARK24

ARK24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Trying to launch the ISO file with QEMU shows the same blue screen error... the ISO must be somehow corrupt then, which is weird because I downloaded it directly from the Microsoft website. I'll try to download it again and run QEMU to see if it works. Trying to mount the USB drive with QEMU hangs at "Booting from Hard Disk...".

Edit: might be awhile (perhaps the servers are having issues), first attempt the download failed after 30 mins, now it's been going for close to an hour and is only at 2.8/5GB. Would you know of another credible source I can download the Windows 10 x64 ISO from?

Edited by ARK24, 22 March 2020 - 03:28 PM.

ARK24

ARK24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Alright, tried the entire process again with a newly downloaded ISO, still the same results on both the laptop and through QEMU. I tired it with both my ADATA USB HDD and my 8GB USB stick, no luck :/

My only conclusion is that the ISO downloaded from Microsoft is somehow corrupt, would you know of any other server I can download it from?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello ARK24,

Not sure what is going on with the external USB HDD but when using a USB thumbdrive it needs to be a minimum of 16GB, the boot option set to USB key first, HDD second, the external USB HDD should not be connected to the computer when you try the install and just to reiterate the USB key should be inserted into a black USB 2.0 port and not the faster blue 3.0 port.

Not always possible nowadays with so many computers not shipping with an optical drive but I always recommend when possible that an ISO be burned to a DVD disk, using a DVD does away with any UEFI/Secure Boot problems.

ARK24

ARK24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

My MSI laptop does have a CD/DVD drive, but I don't have a DVD burner on my MacBook (I used to have an external USB one somewhere, not sure if I'll be able to find it though). I have another 128GB usb stick I can try this on, however.

Edited by ARK24, 23 March 2020 - 11:01 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

The flash drive is obviously plenty for the ISO but I will have to leave the ISO creation to you as I have zero knowledge about Mac OSs.

ARK24

ARK24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I've tried a few different programs for creating a bootable ISO with mac, and read through a few other tutorials and still no luck, every time I get to the blue screen error. I'm starting to think it's just not possible to create a working bootable USB Windows 10 with Mac. It'll be another couple weeks before I'll be around a Windows Desktop from which I can burn the ISO to a disc, so it may be a week or two before I reply again with an update.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

What about trying Puppy Linux on USB, if you can do this it will help you to check if the HDD itself is ok, see info here