Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant access the internet after winsock and ip reset

• Please log in to reply

JonF

JonF

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Greetings

I a confident that the problem I created is not unique

After resetting my winsock and ip, I am not longer able to access the internet.

I am running Windows 7 enterprise service pack 1

I have a cable connecting the computer to the router,

The router is functioning  and the cable is good, even though the computer says that it is unplugged

Under local area connection status:  IPv4 and IPv6 say "No Internet Access."

I am happy to provide any additional information

Regards

Jon.F.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Contact your ISP's (Internet Service Provider's) Tech Support to see if their service is up. If it is, then have them check the connectivity from their server back to your premises. If that shows good, the problem lies somewhere between where their service attaches to your dwelling and you.

JonF

JonF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Thank you for the quick reply.  I can confirm that the problem is with this computer.  I have wire and wireless internet access from all other devices through the same router.  I also changed the plug in port, which did not remedy the problem.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Usually, a LAN (local area network) card and a router/switch have a LED above/below their respective Ethernet ports. When you connect a good Ethernet cable between those two ports, the LEDs on both ends should light up Green. If they are not lit or maybe red or yellow, there is a problem ... usually with the cable.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Hello an sorry to bud in here,

Have to ask why you reset winsock in the first place ? Were you having connection issues ? What is the model of the desktop or Laptop ?

JonF

JonF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

i was able to fix the problem.  When I reset winsock or the IP, the General Settings for the Internet Pprotocol version 4 under Local Area Connection Properties got reset to obtain IP and DNS server addresses automatically.  When I assigned static addresses the problem got resolved.

Thank you for your time

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Well done JonF..

Glad to hear....