Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Privacy when working from home

privacy security

• Please log in to reply

KimL

KimL

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello. Thanks to covid-19 I'm working from home for a part of each week and am taking my work laptop with me. The only way to connect to the internet is to use my home wifi (run by a housemate, so I have no control over it). I'm aware that my employer can see everything done on my work laptop and work's network. My question is, now that my work laptop is connected to my home wifi, could my employer view internet use or other activities done on my personal laptop or my housemates' devices? 

Just to warn you, I know nothing about tech - pitch your answers as if to a cave dweller.

Thanking you in advance. 

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Hello KimlL

The work computer most likely has monitoring software installed and that's  how your employer can see / tell what you're doing etc. The specific  monitoring software is reporting back to them  . Your personal computer has no such software installed so your employer would have no way of telling what you're doing on your personal computer because there is no software reporting back to your employer..

zep...