Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trouble disabling secure boot in Win 8 (Resolved).

Best Answer jacktro , 08 April 2020 - 07:47 AM

Fixed.Making Admin password in bios gave me access to the secure boot.Remade bootable USB with GPT.OS installed with no problems. Go to the full post »

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jacktro

jacktro

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Hi Guys,

Having trouble disabling the secure boot in Win 8.

The laptop is new to me and i want to run Dariks and wipe it all and do a fresh *install.

Tried this...

https://www.bleeping...u-in-windows-8/

But on boot up into the bios i get this screen...(attached pic)

From this screen i can tab over to the app menu and i get 2 options set up/diagnostic splash, set up lets me enter the bios but i still cant disable the secure boot....the only 2 option i get are set admin password or set hard disk password...any ideas?

Lenovo IdeaPad Z580

Any help appreciated thx Jack

Attached Thumbnails

• rsz_dsc_0196.jpg

Edited by jacktro, 01 April 2020 - 08:33 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello jacktro,

just a thought, have you checked for the Lenovo OneKey Recovery 

jacktro

jacktro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Solved

Edited by jacktro, 01 April 2020 - 11:21 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hi Guys,

Having trouble disabling the secure boot in Win 8.

The laptop is new to me and i want to run Dariks and wipe it all and do a fresh *install.

Tried this...

https://www.bleeping...u-in-windows-8/

But on boot up into the bios i get this screen...(attached pic)

From this screen i can tab over to the app menu and i get 2 options set up/diagnostic splash, set up lets me enter the bios but i still cant disable the secure boot....the only 2 option i get are set admin password or set hard disk password...any ideas?

Lenovo IdeaPad Z580

Any help appreciated thx Jack

Sorry Jack but a bit confused as the reply notification for your reply #3 that I got said the below  :headscratch:

ive looked at one key..it just recovers or backs up the system..... cant use it to wipe the hd for a Linux install.

Suggested OneKey trying to save you some time with getting a clean install of Windows and had we known that you wanted to install Linux it would have been suggested that you format the HDD from within Windows and as shown in the attachment.

By the by now as you have it sorted, care to share how you achieved it, the info could be of help to others that may read your thread while looking for the same type of help.

jacktro

jacktro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Your right....my original post was not my best work (im putting it on the Covid 19 23hr house lock down frying my brain)

I did change the post to "fresh install" when i realised what i had written, but when your trying to run Darik's nuke and boot(DBAN) i thought most people would know what i was trying to do.

From what i understand this "Secure boot" function which i guess is factory preinstalled stops your running programs like DBAN from boot to protect or maybe stop you messing with the preinstalled OS.

This function only appears in newer laptops i think...i have some older towers that ive run DBAN on before so i took the HD from the Laptop put it in the older tower and ran DBAN no problem.

The reason i could not format the drive via windows is shown in the attachment.

rsz_dsc_0198.jpg

So after the drive was wiped, back into the laptop and just for now put in win10...2 things have come about now...

1. This Secure boot function has been removed from the Bios and no longer appears. (I still want to find out how to disable that piece of s*** software...its become a "nothin better to do" mission :ranting:

2. and more of a pain the win 10 usb will only boot up in legacy and wont boot into UEFI.........ive used this Win 10 usb in maybe 5 diff. machines in UEFI and no problems......so thats my 17th day of Covid 19 self isolation diary/rant.........

and oh yh preinstalled Laptops are pants :smashcomp:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thanks for the update which clarifies where I was a bit lost  :unsure:

Secure boot is as the name suggests a security function that is designed to stop the bad guys taking over your computer by replacing the boot loader with a rootkit, with secure boot enabled if UEFI does not see a Microsoft certificate in the boot loader you get locked out.

Below is my canned info when trying to help people who are having issues booting from a USB device, it looks quite long but it does cover two separate scenarios, coincidentally I wrote it to help folk with trying to boot Puppy Linux so that they could try and recover their data from an non booting Windows PC.

UEFI BIOS is known to cause problems for a lot of folk when they are trying to boot from a USB device and to make matter worse brand name computers all have different BIOS and restrictions on the BIOS and as if to compound the issue most of them no longer include an optical drive in their computers therefore ruling out the easier option of booting from disk.

For computers that have UEFI as opposed to legacy BIOS, to be able to boot from your USB device you may need to disable secure boot and change UEFI to CSM Boot, not all computers and BIOS are the same, please refer to your user manual if you have one as the following steps are only one such example.

Restart the computer, Windows 8 and 8.1 from the Start or desktop screen move your mouse pointer over the upper or lower right corner of the screen, when the Windows Charms appear click the Settings Charm, click on Power and then the Restart option.

Windows 10, Click on Start,Power and then Restart.

While the computer is re-starting,you will need to continually tap or hold down the particular key that will allow you to access the BIOS on your computer, we will use the F2 key as an example here;

After restarting the computer, when the screen goes black, press and hold down the F2 key, wait for the BIOS to load.

Select Security -> Secure Boot and then Disabled.

Select Advanced -> System Configuration and then Boot Mode.

Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.

Save the changes and Exit the BIOS, commonly F10.

If your computer will not boot into Windows at all, power up or restart the computer continually tap or hold down the key that will allow you to access the BIOS on your computer and then do the following;

Select Security -> Secure Boot and then Disabled.

Select Advanced -> System Configuration and then Boot Mode.

Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.

Save the changes and Exit the BIOS, commonly F10.

jacktro

jacktro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Appreciate the reply MM...the problem i have is i cant get into the "Secure boot" option (pic 1)

I only have access to the 1st 2 options in the security tab. The other 6 options on the list show in a faded grey and are not accessible.

The only time this was diff. was when i installed Win 10 in legacy support and the "secure boot" option completely disappeared from the security menu.

On the limited time ive had to play around with the laptop i did a quick boot and nuked on the drive again as i was unhappy about not being able to get UEFI....Looks like its reverted back to the factory settings.....one key recovery (pic 2) is available and the "secure" boot is disabled again. 

Attached Thumbnails

• rsz_dsc_0198.jpg
  • rsz_1dsc_0200.jpg

jacktro

jacktro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
✓  Best Answer

Fixed.

Making Admin password in bios gave me access to the secure boot.

Remade bootable USB with GPT.

OS installed with no problems.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Well that is a coincidence as I was just looking at the info here

Glad that you worked it out for yourself as we are not allowed to assist with anything that is password related and for obvious reasons.

Well done and thank you for letting us know that you no longer required assistance  :thumbsup:

NB: Just to add, How to access the Lenovo BIOS hidden options, Setting, changing, or removing a supervisor password

When Lock UEFI BIOS Settings option is enabled, all BIOS settings cannot be changed. To change the settings, a supervisor password is required.

Got to give it to Lenovo, they do try and make things difficult for bad guys who are in possession of something that they shouldn`t be  :ph34r:

Edit to add: Bookmarked the Lenovo info for future reference as it was so hard to find among all the requests for bypassing the password  :(

jacktro

jacktro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Thx Phil, I'd like 2 take the credit for sorting out the problem, but funnily enough i posted on the Lenovo forums and some kind soul gave his time to help me out :thumbsup:

Big up 2 the PC Tech helpers out there...we would be lost without u all :notworthy:

Thx Jack.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are welcome jacktro, nice people like yourself make it all worthwhile  :yes:

lacyparadise

lacyparadise

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I want to remove all passwords from bios without any USB or CD .. 

I know it can happen..I saw it on youtube, and now I cannot find that video.

All passwords can be altered and removed in command prompt. 

I want a password free computer.

I removed microsoft .. and entry password. 

But Bios set, by Geek squad messed it all up./

How do I use command prompt .. to change all passwords. 

and get administrative privilege back ?

And remove all passwords in command prompt. ? 

Please let me know.. 

Edited by lacyparadise, 01 May 2021 - 08:38 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Without knowing anything about your computer it is hard to be exact but if it is a brand name computer you will have to be logged into the Admin account in the BIOS, if you need any further assistance please start your own thread on the appropriate forum and some one will assist you there.

Thread closed so that the original OP does not receive any further unsolicited notifications.