Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recover data from a WD SATA Hard Drive (My Cloud)

recover files my cloud NAS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ptaguer

ptaguer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello - Trying to help my daughter recover files from a Western Digital NAS My Cloud storage device. She has Wedding Pictures, Financial documents and several other important files.  The OS was fried. No damage to the hard disk (WD30EFRX wmc4n1347190 BIN W2).   I sent the device to a Data Recovery company for a free estimate.  The good news all the files (29K+)   are recoverable.... Bad news, the price tag requested was $799.00 (OUCH, OUCH).  So I watched a few You Tube videos.  Just ordered a hard drive connector cable cord (cheap).  When it arrives.... looks like all I need to do is 'Plug & Play'. (nothing is ever that easy).  Am I getting into something I'll regret?  One concern, the My Cloud is an NAS device.  Will the files copy over without any related/needed software?  Any suggestions or pointers to lift my confidence before I start this "project" are appreciated.    LB Hard Drive.jpg

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Assume we are talking Windows here. You are removing the drive from the My Cloud thing right?  If your working computer is a desktop the quick way to do it is to turn it off, unplug the connectors to the DVD and plug them into the drive you want to read.  Doesn't have to be permanently mounted just insulated or taped in place so it doesn't short something out. If you don't want to install it in a desktop you can use a USB - SATA adapter. 

Amazon has them for $16.99

Inateck SATA to USB 3.0 Converter Adapter Fit 2.5/3.5 Inch Hard Drive Disk and SSD, Power Adapter Included, UA1001

If you want something more permanent

WAVLINK USB 2.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station with 2 USB 2.0 HUB and TF & SD &MS Card for 2.5 inch/3.5 Inch HDD,SSD Support Backup/UASP Functions [ 8TB ]
4.3 out of 5 stars

is only $19.99

Once you plug it up and turn it on and Windows sees it you will need to go into File Explorer and click on the drive then Right click on it and select Properties then Security.  You are going to need to give yourself permission to see the files.  You may need to take ownership of the drive first.

https://winaero.com/...-in-windows-10/

Of course if it says it has to format the drive something is not working and you need to stop and find some drive recovery software so don't let it format the drive.

ptaguer

ptaguer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks... your information very helpful.  I'll post my results when I complete the transfer of files.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

Thread locked to stop spam