Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't network 2 computers

• Please log in to reply

robirdman

robirdman

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

After years of neglect, I started up my Win XP computer, because it runs my Nikon scanner software.  I scanned about 150 slides,  then needed to get them over to my Win7 computer where all my other images are stored.  The XP machine wouldn't work with my wireless USB router and I wondered how I succeeded before.  I connected the 2 with an ethernet cable and was able to see the shared XP folder  on the Win7 Pc.  I copied the scanned slide files with no trouble, did the same with more.  Then I had a shutdown of the Win7 computer and after rebooting, no longer sees the XP.  I tried different things, like setting up home network.  It keeps asking how I want to connect computers to the Internet, or dial up, nothing that works.  Nothing about a direct connection

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Hello,

I connected the 2 with an ethernet cable and was able to see the shared XP folder  on the Win7 Pc.

Can you explain / describe "exactly" how you have the cable connected . And were able to see the shared floder. Is this a crossover cable type connection?

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Something that looked like phone connector but bigger.  each computer had a port,  Connected and had th shared folder showing on the Win 7 PC.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

That's a cross over cable connecting 2 computers together. Hard to tell what happened when win 7 powered down or rebooted maybe lost IP address.

That can be a hard way to do it....

Can you try a homegroup connection, you would set the home group up on win 7 first. Both computers will need to connect to the router.

I like this video an the way she explains setting it up is great... please check it out.

Additional information here but watch the video first

https://www.digitalc...ows-7-computers

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Can you send a link to that youtube video?  Within the forum, I have to use a magnifying glass to see what she is pointing to and headphones to understand her clearly.  It seems most useful, but when it comes to rebooting the Win7, I am afraid I may not easily get back to this forum question, as my initial attempts were, that I wasn't recognized, then PW not recognized and other problems before I actually could go ahead.  Also I am sharing a monitor with the 2 computers and when I go to follow the directions stepwise regarding the XP, means that I will lose the window with the directions. I'm trying to see how much I can remember before going further.

Edited by robirdman, 10 April 2020 - 08:36 AM.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Never mind. I was able to remember the steps without the monitor and it worked.  great, thanks.