Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Constantly Restarting

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Are you able to choose the options down the bottom of the page.

Your pic shows that your are in UEFI BIOS, didn`t you change it to Legacy yesterday.

Just a fyi, those NIC options are for network booting (network interface card).

Advertisements

Manners22

Manners22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

When things weren't working yesterday, before I exited BIOS, I changed legacy settings back because of the ominous warnings that appeared.  Today, I threw caution to the wind and changed the settings in BIOS than rebooted with F12.  It's a whole new world!

I DID it!  I am now booted using the flash drive!  So I guess I'll stay on for a long time to see if I randomly re-start or not.  I'm excited to learn if it is Windows or hardware!

Thank you!  Thank you!

:yeah:  

Edited by Manners22, 26 April 2020 - 04:37 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome and well done for persevering with it  :thumbsup:

Will look out for your next update and meanwhile hope you are able to enjoy finding your way around Linux.

Manners22

Manners22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Wait... When I hit F12 or when I just hit power button the Windows logo comes up and it carries on from there. I thought that was Linux boot. It still goes into Windows though. Did I miss something?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

From your reply #47;

I DID it!  I am now booted using the flash drive!  So I guess I'll stay on for a long time to see if I randomly re-start or not.

From your reply above;

Wait... When I hit F12 or when I just hit power button the Windows logo comes up and it carries on from there.

Is this after you were using Linux and then having shut down the computer and gone back the next day, if yes, may I refer you back to my reply #44;

Alternative approach, leave the USB device in the port then restart the notebook.

Keep tapping F12 when you start the notebook to see if you get the one time boot option which will hopefully allow you to then boot from the thumb drive.

The suggestion was made to test the notebook for a prolonged period of time outside of Windows and not intended to be a means of booting the computer multiple times.

Manners22

Manners22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Sorry, life again.  Yes.  My original boot from the USB took me to Slack 64 and from there into Windows.  I don't think that I have ever been in Linnux.  I am so sorry that I am a dummy.  I am way out of my comfort zone.  Is there a way to start from scratch with F12?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
My original boot from the USB took me to Slack 64 and from there into Windows. 

Sorry but not sure what you mean, if you booted into Linux Windows should not have loaded, can you explain what happened exactly.

Linux uses the memory to boot not the HDD and once you have booted into Linux you can then mount the HDD and view the contents of what is on the drive, this is why we often use Linux to recover data from a bad HDD or a HDD where Windows has become corrupt etc.

Manners22

Manners22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I went into Slack 64. I must have clicked something because just the Windows logo came up (blue windows) and I was up and running. I must never have used Linnux but thought I was. Can I start over using the same USB?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No idea what went on tbh, you can start afresh but it will mean going through the one time boot process again, remove the main power brick and AC adaptor, press the power on button to get rid of any charge in the system, replace the battery/charger, insert your Linux USB device, restart while tapping F12 and hope that it gives you the one time boot option again.

Manners22

Manners22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Well it took awhile, but it still shuts down. Hardware? What do I do now?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

How long is a while?

Manners22

Manners22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Just took me a couple of days to use the one time boot again and spend the time to see if it would do the irritating restart. I wasn't comfortable with waiting just a small amount of time because sometimes it does it after a few hours and sometimes minutes. It definitely shut down while I was working though. And I was definitely using Linnux.

Edited by Manners22, 06 May 2020 - 04:51 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Definitely looks like hardware then but for clarity, how long exactly had you been using the computer, running Linux before it shut down, minutes, hrs a day etc, this info is important.

Manners22

Manners22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I had been using it for about an hour.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not long at all then, quick summary below;

HDD checked and given a clean bill of health.

Booted from Linux so Windows ruled out.

Booted from the RAM so partially ruled out, saying partially because heat could be affecting it.

Can I ask what was powering the notebook while you were using Linux, the battery, the AC adaptor or were both connected.