Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Constantly Restarting

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Manners22

Manners22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

It was on battery only.  The battery was not out of power. 

When in Windows, I normally leave the laptop plugged in.  Also, the restarts happen randomly in Windows. Sometimes after 3 to 5 minutes, sometimes not at all  Sometimes after a few hours, etc.  There doesn't seem to be a pattern.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

Try removing the battery and booting into Linux while the notebook is being powered by just the AC adaptor, if it crashes the first thing to be doing would be to remove the RAM, blow out the slot/s, re seat the RAM securely and then test.

Being so random may suggest a loose connection somewhere that could be causing a short or a break in the electrical circuit.

Manners22

Manners22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I could never really get it to boot to Linux again. Restating constantly. Suddenly blue screen of death. Loud awful noise and qr code. I was on a meeting on phone. Didn't get to cell camera quickly enough. Now, Windows still there as if brand new. Every single file and picture gone. Except my programs. They remain.

Edited by Manners22, 11 May 2020 - 08:02 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
Now, Windows still there as if brand new. Every single file and picture gone. Except my programs. 

Are these third party programs that you had installed yourself or are they what came bundled with the computer when it was out of the box new.

Reason I ask, if you installed the programs your other data should still be on the drive but if the programs were factory installed you have most likely lost the personal data as what you describe sounds like Windows has been reinstalled somehow.

Manners22

Manners22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
The ones that I dowloaded and installed are still there. All of my personal data in them is gone.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

So it was a software that you use to save photos etc that you were using when the computer turned off on you.

See if Recuva (free) finds any of your data, download from here

Can I ask what the noise sounded like, was it like a siren at all.

Manners22

Manners22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
No. I was in a Teams meeting for work. Noise was VERY loud siren buzz. Ugly noise. I'll try recovery. Thank you. Even Google on laptop brand new. Thankfully, it still exists elsewhere.

Manners22

Manners22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Just turned laptop on fir first time this morning.My stuff is there again. OMG. Trying to copy as much as I can before inevitable next crash!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

The noise that you describe resembles the warning you get when a CPU on a Dell is overheating.

Good news that your data is still there.

Manners22

Manners22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yes! I'm totally backed up too. Used it most of the day. When it does the restart, which it does a lot, it gives me this.

Advertisements

Manners22

Manners22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yes! I'm totally backed up too. Used it most of the day. When it does the restart, which it does a lot, it gives me this.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200513_013226.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

You most often get that message when there is a hardware issue.

If you are able to boot into Windows at all, download and run Seatools and test the HDD, both the short and extended tests need to be done, if the drive fails either it needs to be replaced, download from here

Testing the HDD would not have been suggested had you not already backed up btw.

Manners22

Manners22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I'm able to boot. It has gone back to its "normal" behavior of restarting. No blue screen. Don't want to rock the boat until I can short term borrow another laptop for school and work depending upon how bad it looks. Can I wait a few days please?
I am so thankful that you are only a message away. I appreciate it! Especially because the timing couldn't be worse!
Manners22

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

We are here as long as you need us so just get back to us when you are able to.

Thanks for letting us know as well btw  :thumbsup:

Manners22

Manners22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Well, I'm back!  I have been so busy the last few weeks and my laptop worked perfectly.  Didn't restart randomly at all.  It was running so great, I didn't run Seatools.  Didn't want to ruin what I had going.  Boy do I regret that now.  Yesterday, when I turned the laptop on, the blue screen appeared.  It is still there today.  Windows wil not start.  Period.  I am able to boot using SkackO from the usb.  It does the restart randndomly again , a lot, and I have to go through the whole rigamarole of setting up Puppy again.  Should I still try downloading Seatools and running again or just try to buy a new hard drive?  If so, what should I buy?  Can I replace myself?  

Thanks.

A very depressed Manners22.