Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer keeps rebooting, and wrong drive letters

• Please log in to reply

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

I don't use the internal audio.  I have 3 Presonus Firestudio Projects for audio, and I don't think they were on during that test, as I wasn't testing them.

i have never defragged the Y drive as it seemed that such a small amount indicated the need, I think.

trying to do error check, said C: was in use and couldn't be checked.

Said Y: needed to be dismounted.  

Going back and reading further steps, I see I need to schedule the C., but will post as far as I got before restarting and losing what I typed.

Advertisements

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

I chose schedule for the C: drive but on rebooting, nothing happened. I checked fragmentation of Y drive and it says 2%. Important?

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

I see I didn't read far enough again, before rebooting.  But I started over and am clearing the logs before rebooting.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

I don't know if the scan/error check worked.  It took many hours for it to get to 23%, Hours later, when I check, the dos screen was gone and the windows sign in was there. I think it rebooted.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

You can check the logs here:

https://answers.micr...58-32d2fbf92361

Sometimes the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 will fix things

This link is for 64 bit:
https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=20858

It acts like you are installing a KB and takes several hours to finish.

Is it still not seeing the CD/DVD?

Window Repair All In One has a fix for that:

https://www.tweaking...all_in_one.html

We want the free version where it says:

4.8.1 - For all versions of Windows (6/3/2020) PAD File

Installer (37.16 MB)

Use one of the links.

Save and run by right click and Run As admin.

You can jump to Repairs then pick one of the preset ones and modify by unchecking everything but

Repair CD/DVD Missing/Not Working

Reboot when done.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

system log.JPG After what seemed like unfinished error checking interrupted by reboot, I tried going to the system log .  It keeps vibrating or seems like it is still running though nothing is changing, Still going like this after.  Attachment, but doesn't show the continual movement.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Could be it is having trouble reading or writing the log files.  Looks like about 3 days ago logs.  Did you try setting the filter like it said in the instructions?

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Went back trying to find where filter referenced. Where was that?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

https://answers.micr...58-32d2fbf92361

• Type "Event Viewer" without quotes and launch the Event Viewer.
  • In the left navigation pane, under the Windows Logs folder, select Application
  • In the right Actions pane, launch the "Filter Current Log..."
  • Under Event Sources, choose Winit (for me the logs didn't show up as Winlogon, as suggested in some postings to the above thread)
  • Click OK
  • On the filtered list, go to entries at the time of CHKDSK and look through them for the CHKDSK log
  • In order to look through each one, you actually have to double-click each entry to open up the details

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

I see that I had continued accidentally on an older thread.  what happened was that I started the PC and it went to error checking C:.  I wanted to do work and restarted again, and again it did the checking.  I asked how to stop it, but it was the wrong thread and got no answer.  I brought my laptop to the desk and connected the 2 hard drives necessary and did the work I needed.  Meanwhile, to my surprise, the error checking finished in front of me, and went to Windows.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Did that help?

If not:

Did you do the System Update Readiness and Windows Repair all in one?

http://www.geekstogo...650173Readiness

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Last thing I did was a successful error check and then it rebooted to Windows.  I don't know what the results were.

I have had to concentrate on other things.  I moved most of my movie files to a new D2 Lacie 8T with 5 year recovery plan.  I have nothing big enough to back to.  I was wondering about recommended HDs, since earlier in the thread, mine were not recommended.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

When you say run as administrator, do you mean sign in as administrator? I am the only user, and all my programs are in a desktop with my name sign in.  If I sign in as administrator, there are almost no programs showing on desktop.  As the only user, am I automatically the administrator?

With Win 10 you have to right click on a file and select Run As Administrator even if you have admin rights.  It's part of their security stuff to make it harder for hackers to take over your computer. 

When you log in as the normally hidden Administrator it is considered a separate user and you get a new clean desktop.  (If you open File Explorer and go to C:\Users\r1\desktop you will find the files that are usually on your desktop) You probably don't have to right click and Run As Admin when you are the hidden Administrator.

Status Good is bogus.  I have seen drives with over a thousand sectors pending  reallocation claiming Status Good.

However if the extended Seagate test passes then supposedly the drive is OK.

USB 3.0 cables should have SS on them and usually have a blue insert.  You would think if they came with the drive that they would be 3.0 but who knows.

The metal housings may not be the best design based on the temps we are seeing.  They might need a little fan or some cooling fins or some more holes in the case to keep the drives below 50 C.

If you have had another blue screen please rerun BlueScreenView.

If the crashes only happen when using Photoshop Bridge there may be a problem with the program.  Do you have the latest version?

In the Search box type:  dxdiag

wait for it to find it.  Right click on dxdiag.exe and Run As Admin.
Yes
Once it finishes (green line in bottom left goes away)

Save All Information.  Point it at your desktop and it should save it as dxdiag.txt.

Exit

Double click on dxdiag.txt and copy and paste the text into a reply.

recommended hard drives?

I have nothing big/empty enough to back my movie files on 8T Lacie D2 now.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I usually buy Western Digital Black drives.  They last longer, have a better warranty & are faster than most.  However, I usually just get 2 TB drives.  Not really up on the larger drives.

Check out some real world stats at BackBlaze:

https://www.backblaz...-test-data.html

They use a lot of Seagates because they are cheap and in a RAID configuration it doesn't matter if one fails.  If you look at the 1st Qtr of 20202:

https://www.backblaz...-stats-q1-2020/

You will see that Seagates are much less reliable than HGST.  (Hitachi & Western Digital merged a couple of years ago so pretty much the same drives.)

If you are looking for SSD I only buy Samsung EVO.  I've tried others but they have all failed within the first year.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

12T WD at B&H photo for $249 is actually cheaper I think.  Maybe good for the backup of the Lacie D2 which has 5 year recovery plan.