Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer keeps rebooting, and wrong drive letters

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I'm not a big fan of large drives.  Too many eggs in a single basket and I'm always afraid that large drives are pushing the envelope but as long as you have it backed up I suppose it would be OK.  Have you considered an external raid enclosure so that if one fails you can easily replace it?

Advertisements

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

I wanted a large drive because I didn't want to split my videos among different drive, making for less organization, but that is a valid point.  I do have an 8T drive that was raid as 2 4Ts and used as bird images backup, but then they grew to need a 6T. Anyway I had postponed doing much more regarding this till I could back up my videos again.  I got the 12 T WD today.  Out of the box, one of the rubber feet was off already.  I connected to my PC and went to disk management to format as necessary for Windows, and no drives appear below the top line list.  I can't scroll down.  This window is locked up again, and I can't do anything.

Used task manager to close and then reopened.  Now there are drives listed below, but I can't scroll down.

Only shows top 2 drives.  Nor can I enlarge window to uncover more. locked.

Edited by robirdman, 08 July 2020 - 02:32 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I've never used a drive that big.  It might just be that it takes it a long time to work with a drive that big.

Sometimes it does that when a drive is bad.  Unplug the drive and see if that fixes the freeze.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Unbelievable.  I rebooted, hoping that might clear the lockup.  I enlarged the window before it got a chance to hang, but again no drives showed below the list.  Then I took the drive off, connected to my laptop and formatted to NTFS, and changed the drive letter to K, which is open.

Then I put back on the PC, along with the video drive I wanted to back up and started to set up in Genie Backup.  There is no K drive.  It reverted to D, which is an already used drive, not currently connected.  Task manager is locked so I can't change, nor do the the backup I've been waiting to for weeks. 

Earlier in my thread I had t his lockup problem before I had this drive. At some point, days or weeks later, disk management became usable, I think when I installed and named the R drive, which I want to back up.

The 12T WD came up immediately on the laptop.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

This is unbelievably stupid and I don't know what to do about it.  I have the laptop where I deal with most daily stuff on a coffee table in another room.  I saw that by moving my phone charger elsewhere, I could fit the 2 drives on the strip and back up there.  but then I realized, that every time I wanted to backup, I'd have to take the 2 drives from the main PC room where they would be connected and tie up the laptop again.  And I'd never be able to backup at the PC because Genie's catalog wouldn't recognize it even if I ever got it to be K.  I have scattered backup of recent stuff that are getting hard to keep track of and I was going to do a lot of backup revision and now totally blocked.  Frustration is extreme,.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

This is stupid.  I am just going to have to sacrifice the earlier D and any backups to it, which wouldn't be so large.  I've got stuff backed in places I don't want and other stuff taking up lots of drive space till I delete after doing the big backup.  

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Perhaps you can use diskpart to change the drive letters?

https://www.diskpart...etter-4125.html