Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Constantly Freezes & won't do anything (Resolved).

Best Answer gpl98a1 , 13 July 2020 - 06:07 PM

Ok, so just over a week now & no issues running as is, i think i can now say my issue is fixed. Thank you very much Phil, i don't know how else to thank you than just to say it, your help... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Don`t worry about the dupes but please see the below;

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page, it avoids filling up folks inbox 

Advertisements

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Ok, noted

Just froze again sitting here doing nothing :no:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Being a Dell you may not get much info from the following but we will give it a go;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

So that we have a comparison to Speedfan, download, run and grab a screenshot of HWMonitor (free).

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Strange, just before you posted your reply the cooling fan went mad & started running at full speed, had to shut off with the power button

This is all the info Speedfan was displaying

Attached Thumbnails

• Speedfan1.png
  • HWmonitor.png

Attached Files

Edited by gpl98a1, 16 April 2020 - 10:16 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No signs of overheating but those bad voltages are again present.

If you want to risk starting up the computer, see if you get any of the following voltages in the Dell BIOS, you may not as Dell BIOS is very limited;

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures, the DRAM voltages and the  +3.3V, +5V and the +12V rails on the PSU and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does most often suggest a PSU problem.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Sorry for being daft but i can't see any voltages & i've used F2 & F12 on starting

I did see a diagnostic tool in there but it froze 3 times running it

& another 4 times trying to write this :no:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not being daft at all, as mentioned Dell BIOS is very limited so there may not be such options.

Been doing some research and have arrived at the conclusion that Dell don`t want people upgrading this computer.

In view of what is happening and not being sure how much you want to put into this I see no other option other than to remove the motherboard from the chassis and trying the set up with a real PSU and not the rubbish that the PC shipped with.

While researching the PSU specs I came across the thread here it may be worth you taking a look.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Thank you, i'll take a look certainly

In your opinion am i safer junking this PC & just saving the hard drives for another one? I was kind of trying to avoid it as it's a bit of a nightmare scenario for me & am i correct in saying i'd need to reinstall W10 as a new PC won't let me use this copy?

* Edit * Yes i see the bit you're directing me towards, looks ok of the cost is far below replacing my PC but what specs/power do i need?

I take it we're conclusively saying this is a PSU problem?, only asking because i never had a problem with it until the auto BIOS update from Dell went wrong

Edited by gpl98a1, 16 April 2020 - 04:39 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Too soon to be thinking of getting shut of the computer tbh, likewise with being concerned about reinstalling Windows which is a bridge we can help you cross should you need to.

We cannot say for sure that the PSU is the cause of the problems but it is the weakest and most sub standard component in the computer, there is evidence of unstable voltages + the computer runs for longer without the add on GPU.

Being in lock down doesn`t help but in addition to that there is also the fact that the MB and present PSU have a non propriety ATX power connector, to test the hardware with a decent PSU would also mean the need to purchase an adaptor like the example here

Regarding the BIOS update, that was done on another MB so would normally have no real baring on this unless something got damaged in the process which being honest does not look to be the case here.

The crux of things is that the type of behaviour that you describe is typical of first of all overheating and secondly a bad power supply, your temps all being very good really does suggest that the cause is the PSU.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Thank you Phil - at that conclusion is it best to close the topic for now?

I can't see me getting this rig of a PSU & adapter sorted anyime soon, my brother may bave a spare PSU but i won't get asking until tonight.

I'm not sure how power supplies are rated, Watts is it? If so what should i be going for & are there any ones to stay clear of?

*Edit* - Will the internals transfer to another case? If so i'd buy one & a power supply to keep it all in 1 unit

Or maybe this would fit into the case?

Or THIS, this?

The last 2 kind of look like what's in there, mounting screw holes seem to be in the same place :yes:

Edited by gpl98a1, 17 April 2020 - 05:26 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

While I type a reply I have a suggestion for you to try meanwhile, try booting from Linux on a USB thumb drive and see how that goes, see info here

Will edit this post regarding the info in your reply #42;

Edit to add:

Bad news I`m afraid, because of the shape of the MB any other case would need modifying to suit and using Dell Model No 240EM-00 to check the PSU shows that is also non propriety so likewise any replacement PSU would involve modifying something  :(

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Thank you

Ok, im not too clear on this Linux bit, is it Linux Mint i'm installing to the pen drive?

I can see Linux Lite, Linux XP lite & 2 under a heading 'Clear Linux'

My 'broadband' only runs 4.5mb/s so it may take a while, fibre isn't available to me at the minute

Attached Thumbnails

• Linux.jpg

Edited by gpl98a1, 17 April 2020 - 06:30 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Mint will do  :thumbsup:

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I created a Linux USB boot, booted from it approx 5 times but it froze every time, max 3 mins on it when opening the firefox browser to post on here

I'm happy to try & bodge something up, looking at the space i could fit a mini supply in there, i just thought those 2 other silver ones, especially the long one, looked very similar to whats there already, i must pull it out sometime & have a look

Edited by gpl98a1, 17 April 2020 - 08:29 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Which effectively rules out Windows, your storage device and the RAM.

Couple of questions for you;

Have you noticed an option in the BIOS to restore the MBs default factory settings.

What was the BIOS updated for when you had the previous MB.

How many sticks of RAM do you have.

Modding would be ok under a couple of circumstances, how much room do you have where the PC is presently sited and any concerns about young children or curious pets.