Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Constantly Freezes & won't do anything (Resolved).

Best Answer gpl98a1 , 13 July 2020 - 06:07 PM

Ok, so just over a week now & no issues running as is, i think i can now say my issue is fixed. Thank you very much Phil, i don't know how else to thank you than just to say it, your help... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Which effectively rules out Windows, your storage device and the RAM.

Couple of questions for you;

Have you noticed an option in the BIOS to restore the MBs default factory settings. No but i'll look & edit this

What was the BIOS updated for when you had the previous MB. No idea, it was an auto update it kept asking me to do via a pop up box, unfortunately i eventually gave in

How many sticks of RAM do you have. Just 1 x 8GB, was always that way

Modding would be ok under a couple of circumstances, how much room do you have where the PC is presently sited and any concerns about young children or curious pets. Pics attached. Animals are mainly outside, never near the PC but i do have a 6yo daughter who to be fair is not really at the PC

Don't know if that helps you any, apologies if not but i'm no PC wizkid

PSu is at the bottom, long silver thingy! lol - i have some space if it's removed & im assuming that silver metal box can be removed - i have ways if not!

Attached Thumbnails

• Insp  Case (1).JPG
  • Insp  Case (2).JPG

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts

Any info helps, the pics in particular.

I reckon a PSU will go in there but there is still the problem of the 8 pin power connector on the MB, I so dislike and their non propriety components  :(

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I hear ya, it was a session getting the SSD in, not because of room but wiring - i had to buy 2 cables & do some soldering for it to work.

So PSU & the cable you posted in post #39? Any of the PSU's i posted?

I like buying the package as i know little about PC's but if this is the way Dell is going (irreplacable components etc) it's the last one i'll buy

*EDIT*

Here are my boot up screens, i don't see anywhere where i can go to default settings

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8589.JPG
  • IMG_8590.JPG
  • IMG_8591.JPG
  • IMG_8592.JPG
  • IMG_8593.JPG
  • IMG_8594.JPG
  • IMG_8595.JPG

Edited by gpl98a1, 17 April 2020 - 12:45 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts

From the second picture onwards, bottom left says F9 = Load Defaults, if there happens to be any bad MB settings this should clear them.

Dell were bad for it years back but then got better, looks like they have gone back to their old ways, its all about the money  :(

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I accidentally deleted the next pic but it said something about SATA operation being changed & the machune may nor reboot & need a new OS install - so i clicked no & came out of it

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8596.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts

Wise decision,that will be the UEFI BIOS that Windows gets installed in.

For now we are at a stand still as you can do no more testing hardware wise.

Something that you could do, is leave the computer sat in the BIOS for a while to see if the PC still shuts down, best to do it while you are around rather than over night just in case anything happens.

Not sure that it will help any but there is also the Dell PSU BIST

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Ok, thank you

Are the power supplies i posted adequate to power my system (300w)? I'll not be holding you to randsom to see if they fit or not

I'll try both BIOS instructions your have suggested

Thank you for your help, if need be you can conclude the thread, when i get my power supply & cable i'll post back up in a new thread or PM you to open this one again (if PM is possible here)

Edited by gpl98a1, 18 April 2020 - 02:01 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts

They are ok as long as there is no add on GPU involved.

Have you had a look to see if you can get a standard ATX power supply in the case, as long as it can be secured somehow with any cooling fan pointing in the correct direction it should be fine, its not as if the computer will be getting moved around on a regular basis.

Typical ATX PSU Dimensions 150 x 140 x 86 (WxHxD)

We don`t close tech related threads so come back here when you are ready.

You are welcome btw  :)

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Ok, thank you, i'll take a look but i think the 150mm will be a problem, something long or not over 125mm & square may fit but thats limiting me to 300w approx, is that enough? Ideally id like more

A couple of new things have happened;
1/ The PC now freezes as badly as if the GPU were still fitted, maybe worse but it seems random, Im getting no more than 2 mins or so now & I had to use my phone to type this reply. It flickers to a random solid colour then sometimes goes back to the screen it was on, sometimes not, but it is frozen.i even disconnected my 2nd hard drive to lower power consumption.
2/ On startup the fan runs at the initial startup speed but doesnt slow down & no signal is sent to the monitor - the PC does not boot up.
3/ Interesteng this - a couple of times I pulled the power cable & pressed the power drain button on the PSU, on startup the power button turned solid orange but hen went white & booted, however, once it stayed solid orange & didnt boot up - is this of any help?

Looking at this thread but wont do anything until you advise
https://www.dell.com...ch/td-p/6069803

Edited by gpl98a1, 20 April 2020 - 02:06 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

What Dell say about solid amber on your PC power button can be found here #3 on the list.

From my reply #53;

Not sure that it will help any but there is also the Dell PSU BIST

Have you tried the BIST.

Do you happen to still have the original MB

Advertisements

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Oh dear, am I reading that correctly that the power supply is ok?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts

Yep but trust me when I say that the PSU is in no way being ruled out by me  :no:

One of the things that poor quality PSUs suffer from in particular is overheating internally and unfortunately we have no way of testing that other than someone feeling how hot any air is that is being expelled by the PSU cooling fan when the PC is running.

On a more positive note, you would not normally get a good Power Good signal if the MB was bad.

You missed answering the two questions, can you get back to us on those + in addition can you let us know if you let the computer sit at the BIOS as was suggested, the answer to this is of particular importance.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Apologies, Ill read back & see what you were asking. Just giving the PC a rest here, sometimes that works in letting it run a little longer

By leaving it in BIOS is that just tapping the F2 or F12 key & leaving it on that screen?

Great to hear some good news, at least my replacement motherboard seems not to be faulty.

Edit*

Well the PSU BIST seems to have worked!

It passed the 1st test, the LED came on when pressing the test button

The 2nd test however it didn't, the test LED didn't come on at all, i disconnected the power internally from drives, MB etc & repeated, it still didn't light

Back to the phone, only getting 1min before freeze now - frustrating!

Yes, I still have the old MB here

Tried both F2 & F12 but all it done was blank screen & freeze

Edited by gpl98a1, 20 April 2020 - 05:28 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts

No worries, just trying to cover all bases.

Just giving the PC a rest here, sometimes that works in letting it run a little longer

That is typical of something overheating, turns off when its hot and won`t turn back on until things have cooled down enough, your Speccy url has gone now but that along with HWMonitor & Speedfan showed that all of your temps were very good and that none of your internal hardware is overheating at all, re certain info in your MTB log, only tells us that the computer shut down suddenly so doesn`t help any as you are already fully aware of that, the second error (below)

Error: (04/14/2020 12:13:22 PM) (Source: Application Popup) (User: )

Description: ACPI5

This can be caused by bad or missing chipset drivers but any issues will normally happen on boot and every time that the computer is booted up, we should however make sure that we are thorough and take a look at these drivers.

I will wait for you to get back to me regarding the couple of questions before going into the drivers any further.

Apologies for the delay btw, I`m juggling this alongside something I`m working on here.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Youre fine, take all the time you need, im just happy Im getting somewhere.

My previous post was edited to answer your questions.

I have also just pulled a 300w power supply out of an old Dell PC, it wont fit in the case but Im thinking if I order that adapter cable (24 to 8pin) Ill see if this thing stays running?

Since Im in the UK is this cable ok as well? Itll get here more quickly
https://www.ebay.co....tm/264274317834

Edited by gpl98a1, 20 April 2020 - 06:09 AM.