Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Constantly Freezes & won't do anything (Resolved).

Best Answer gpl98a1 , 13 July 2020 - 06:07 PM

Ok, so just over a week now & no issues running as is, i think i can now say my issue is fixed. Thank you very much Phil, i don't know how else to thank you than just to say it, your help... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Bonjour and storage drivers were the cause of the issue/s.

I don`t use Bonjour and happy not to the amount of times it pops up when there are problems.

You may need to manually uninstall and then reinstall the Intel rapid storage drivers but you should try the auto tool first, Dell info here

Advertisements

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I didn't even know it was there until i googled if on seeing your reply, do i delete it? We all have iPhones in my household

I'll look through the dell info now

Currently installing these drivers, used auro detect & this is what it came up with

Attached Thumbnails

• Driver Update.jpg

Edited by gpl98a1, 28 June 2020 - 08:48 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

If you didn`t know it was there then you obviously do not need it so yes get shut.

Strange how there is a BIOS update available, forego that in any event and install the other three, chipset first, storage drivers second and video drivers third, be sure to create a new system restore point before installing each one.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Bios update was released on the 12th June 2020 - it has already beed downloaded & the others are in process - i have a slow connection

I'll remove Bonjour, no idea what it is TBH, just seen it's to do with Apple software, i did think it looked somewhat important though

https://answers.micr...d6-32e4afe4e6af

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Bonjour is in no way important on a Windows computer + as said you did not even know it was there, the question I would be asking is how did it get there in the first place?

Just a btw, did you happen to notice the date of the thread at your link Created on December 17, 2012

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Oops, no i didnt look at the date - Bonjour has been uninstalled now anyway, sems that itunes & it's updates install the program

downloads @ 76%

Just about to restart

Noticed something weird, when i detect PC it comes up with a different service tag as the one on the machine sticker, would this be to do with my motherboard change?

Attached Thumbnails

• Driver install 2.jpg

Edited by gpl98a1, 28 June 2020 - 09:52 AM.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Sorry for the new post, left the PC for 5/10 mins & came back to a severely flickering screen, the flicker has the image of the web page i left it on & even with a reboot it's still showing

I took a screenshot & maybe you can see it in this pic? (Looks like you cant see the flicker when viewing that pic on my phone)

So I took one with my phone too

Attached Thumbnails

• Flicker.jpg
  • 4A97BCFD-205C-44DC-9C2E-D80951DB9D72.jpeg
  • 39A4DFA9-8865-4190-A836-11DB9F4833B8.jpeg

Edited by gpl98a1, 28 June 2020 - 10:53 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Sorry but not seeing any flicker affects  :(

Ever get the feeling that the computer doesn't like you leaving it unattended.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Lol, that thought did cross my mind!

Can’t you see the background images on the photos I took with my phone? Tyre pressure gauges.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Sorry missed the bottom two pics somehow  :headscratch:

Where are you up to atm, is everything installed and the computer been restarted etc

Advertisements

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Ive switched the PC off & leaving it for a short time.

When I seen the flicker I powered off by holding the power button in, when I powered up again it was still there so I powered off & let it sit about 30 seconds, powered on again & it was still there.

Then I powered off, disconnected the power lead, drained the power via the black button on the PSU, disconnected then reconnected the RAM, switched back on & the flicker was still there in the background.

Edited by gpl98a1, 28 June 2020 - 11:50 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Can I just make sure that you are closing Windows properly before using the power button to turn off the computer.

Restart the computer in Safe Mode only (No Networking) to see if the flicker is still there.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
When it freezes the only option I have is to use the power button & hold it in until it shuts off, otherwise I click bottom left & use the ‘shut down’ option

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Wasn`t aware that it was freezing as well, the flicker could be electrical but likewise it could be driver related so try Safe Mode only then get back to us.

Will be going offline soon as I have areal early start.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Sorry I should have described it exactly. Screen was flickering & mouse along with other functions were frozen.

Will I boot up in safe mode & see if it stays functional?

No panic on replying, again, thanks for your help so far

Jeepers W10 kinda does a decent job of hiding safe mode!

When i turned the PC back on the flickering image was still there on the windows page, it was not there when on the boot up page (with the DELL logo), it is still there in safe mode but a little less obvious.

Edited by gpl98a1, 28 June 2020 - 02:14 PM.