Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Constantly Freezes & won't do anything (Resolved).

Best Answer gpl98a1 , 13 July 2020 - 06:07 PM

Ok, so just over a week now & no issues running as is, i think i can now say my issue is fixed. Thank you very much Phil, i don't know how else to thank you than just to say it, your help... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I did seem to recall the need for a minimum of a 300W PSU to power the system but needed to double check my facts first.

Can I ask why you have put the card back in while you know that the PSU is inadequate, it is inviting trouble tbh.

Advertisements

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I juat tried it to see if it would run properly & see if it that was contributing to the freezing, at one time the machine did run perfectly well with it installed.

Again, just to jog your memory, the machine failed when dell pushed a BIOS update to the PC, the next day it wouldn't switch on so i replaced the motherboard but then it began to freeze, the freezing was becoming more regular.

The GPU is now removed but would you suggest i upgrade the PSU?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Again, just to jog your memory, the machine failed when dell pushed a BIOS update to the PC, the next day it wouldn't switch on so i replaced the motherboard but then it began to freeze, the freezing was becoming more regular.

Sorry but it has been so long and I help so many folk out that I cannot remember every last detail so can I ask, is the MB that is in use now the board that had the BIOS update.

Being honest I would not upgrade the PSU just to accommodate the present GPU.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I know you'll not remember every detail Phil, i'm just saying these things to help & not meaning to come across condascending at all  :thumbsup:

No, the current MB is the new one which i had to source from China as Dell didn't have any & were not going to have any available.

I've no idea what difference a GPU is to me anyway, the PC is only used to store family photos & browse the web & such, i'll just leave it out & if there is no freezing it's going into the bin & i'll button the PC case up.

Edited by gpl98a1, 05 July 2020 - 10:11 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Wasn`t taken that way tbh  :thumbsup:

If you can get by without the add on GPU that is what I would do, hardware is scarce and prices higher than normal due to the lock down so saving yourself time, trouble and cash if you can would be the way to go for me.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I'll take that on board, thank you

Will leave everything as is & let you know how it's running in a week :cheers:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome and cheers  :cheers:

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
✓  Best Answer

Ok, so just over a week now & no issues running as is, i think i can now say my issue is fixed.

Thank you very much Phil, i don't know how else to thank you than just to say it, your help has been greatly appreciated!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Glad to hear that all is now well with the computer and thank you for letting us know  :thumbsup:

You are welcome and you letting us know that you no longer need assistance is reward enough for us  :)

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I've learned a bit along the way which is good in itself but oner thing my head is telling me to ask is what the cause of the problem was?

I'm guessing a combination of things? First the Dell BIOS update, then not using paste when fitting the new MB & then the Bonjour software?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Sorry but not sure to which MB you refer, board one or board two ! 

A bad BIOS update on a brand name computer such as Dell or HP etc is normally terminal and without replacing the BIOS chip itself the MB is effectively junk.

Not using the correct procedure to clean off and reply a good quality thermal compound will cause the exact symptoms that you had with the second board, this issue may not have happened at all had the PSU given you a few more clues that it wasn`t very good, had it done so you may not have removed the heatsink etc.

Bonjour may have just been causing errors and been coincidental tbh.

Condensed version, there is a good chance that had the original PSU just packed up working and been replaced that you may have been able to avoid all the aggro that you went through.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hmmm a lot going on then!

Ill keep an eye on it but tonight Ive had another couple of freezes & flickering screens, hopefully its a one-off but this is what my startup screen looked like.

Im starting to think I should waste no more time on this PC. Just buy another & transfer my hard drives over or make them external Drives

Attached Thumbnails

• 22ADD65E-D074-4148-87C9-37932CB00CBF.jpeg