Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WiFi Router slow when hooked up per instruction but fast when it isn&#

WiFi Router

Best Answer scomar , 19 April 2020 - 09:50 AM

Thanks Zep! After reading the article you posted and doing some more research (see the two links below) I have found that the Google WiFi System would make the most sense for my applications.... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

scomar

scomar

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hello All,
I have Google Fiber (1,000 Mbps).  I have just switched out my Wi-Fi router from an Asus RT-N66U gigabit router (5 years old) to a new Asus RT-AC68U, AC1900 gigabit router.

I had my old router connect through a switch to a LAN port in the back of the old router, basically just making it an access point (I think that is the right term for what I did) and could not access the setting unless I switched around the cabling..  

The new router has much more things I can do with it by accessing the router settings.  So I installed it according to the instructions, which is, internet modem to the WAN port on the new router, then from the LAN port on the router to the desktop.  When I hook it up this way, I could only get top speeds of 30 Mbps both on my Wi-Fi and my desktop, but could access the router settings.  I tried various different settings but nothing worked to get better speeds.

I then switched to the way my old router was hooked up, internet modem to a switch port and then from a switch port to one of the 4 LAN port on the back of the new router.  With it set up this way I get 130 to 175 Mbps on my Wi-Fi, which is what I was getting with my old router. 

Hopefully someone can help me figure out how to install the new router per manufacture recommendations and get higher speeds.

Thanks.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello scomar,

Anything in the link below that helps or perhaps maybe take a different approach with the network set up. I was quite interested in some of the Google Fiber customers that commented On Goggle Fiber .... 

https://bestwireless...r-google-fiber/

Did Google Fiber offer a network box / router at installation time ?

Then there's this:

Google Fiber doesn’t support the option of totally replacing the Network+ box (it can be done, but it's not for the faint hearted - you need the Ubiquiti router we mention further below, then you can follow these steps.)

So it makes me wonder how much is involved should you choose not to use the network +box from Google

scomar

scomar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thanks Zep!

After reading the article you posted and doing some more research (see the two links below) I have found that the Google WiFi System would make the most sense for my applications.  I am going to send the Asus back and go for the Google WiFi.  Yes, a network box/router was provided at time of installation.  The network box does have available wifi, but not good through out the house, thus the reason for the Google WiFi System.  I get speeds of up to 400 Mbps just a few feet from the network box.  From my research it looks like I can get those speeds through out the house with the Google WiFi.

https://www.infravio...r-google-fiber/

https://support.goog...r/2446100?hl=en

As for my opinion on Google Fiber speed, I get around 800-850 Mbps through my ehternet connected PC,  Not as promised, but it works well for me.  I am sure the 1,000 Mbps is in a controlled environment, like most claims of this type.

Thanks for your help!!!