Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service Host: Diagnostic Policy Service 100% of RAM and Disk Usage

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

SJ Danny

SJ Danny

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

I recently noticed that one of my PC's RAM and Disk Usage is running at 100%. When I checked Task Manager I saw that it was Service Host: Diagnostic Policy Service I tried to End the Process but that would force my PC to Shutdown. I tried going into Services and Turning It Off but I get a Failed Attempt.

When I reset the PC I notice it starts out with a small amount of RAM usage and slowly Builds up over time. In 24 Hours it went from about 300MB of Ram to 3,046MB of RAM. Over time when there is not RAM left it will use the Disk Space.

Windows 10 Pro v1909

i7-6700K

16GB Ram

500GB SSD

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Perhaps the service was in the process of trying to fix something within Windows at the time.

Lets see if a Speccy report gives us any clues.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

SJ Danny

SJ Danny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Here is the link. I Restarted the System a few minutes prior to running Speccy

http://speccy.pirifo...xgQAiwGHiSBszH2

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Only two things of note in Speccy, there are some Windows Defender updates that are missing and because they have either been cancelled or have failed and the Windows Power Plan could do with being changed.

Power Profile
Active power scheme: High performance

Change the Windows Power Plan to Balanced, High Performance is a form of overclocking that is known to cause stability and overheating issues and the setting should only be used for gaming type notebooks that have a discrete GPU that needs the extra power.

Download then run the Windows All in One Repair tool from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

SJ Danny

SJ Danny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

I updated Windows Defender and changed the Power to Balance, but no change, what would happen if I just Disable "Diagnostic Service Host" in Services?

I have a 2nd PC I built with the same Hardware at about the same time, but only this PC is having this issue.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not a good idea to disable any Windows service long term and especially not such an important one as the DSH as that is what makes sure that everything else is working as it should be.

Can you do as was suggested and run the Windows AIO repair tool then post back.

Download then run the Windows All in One Repair tool from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Have you run the AIO test yet SJ Danny