Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overiding Headphone Jack Detection - HP Stream Win 10

• Please log in to reply

AceWestfall

AceWestfall

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Long Story Short I broke my headphones in the jack. The computer still thinks there is headphones plugged in and won't play sound through the speakers. How can I overide this. It seems the current output device is Speakers/Headphones combined into one. If I disable one of them, I disable the other. Its Realtek. HP Stream Windows 10.

Advertisements

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

Hi AceWestfall and welcome to GeeksToGo!

I'm sorry to hear about the broken headphones in the laptop!

Have you tried to simply select the Speakers from the volume pop out on the Taskbar? See below:
R1aQXGq.gif

To Disable the Headphones altogether you should be able to do it in the Settings.

Go into Settings > System > Sound, in there you can click on Manage Sound Devices. Click on Headphones inside there and press Disable:

9mJA7iO.png

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

You need to pull out the broken part of the headphones from the jack.