Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ACER laptop running Win 8.1 camera issues

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

my oldest laptop is something I'm using to allow my grandson to see his kindergarten teacher for class ... but all we get is audio. if I go to the camera app ... the camera works to record me or view me. however, when we go to google classroom to stream the lessons ... it doesn't work ... please can someone help me get this fixed? my grandson misses his teacher and would like to see her online 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

I could have sworn that I replied to this thread already  :headscratch:

Have you checked in the Device Manager for any yellow ! against the device.

Or run the Hardware Trouble shooter for it, see info here

To get to the hardware troubleshooter;

a) Press Windows Key+ W on the keyboard.

b) Type Troubleshooting in the search bar and press Enter.

c) In the Troubleshooting window, click on View All on the left pane.

d) Click on Hardware and Devices.

e) Click on Advanced and then click on Run as Administrator.

f) Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

NB: I did and the thread is here

Any reason for the duplicate OP?

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

My wife asked me if I had checked and when I did (cuz I hadn't yet) I checked 'MY CONTENT' and it wasn't there ... so I thought I had screwed up and not posted it so I did again ... sorry for the confusion.

I had checked 'Devices' and found NO Yellow Exclamation points ... Going to go through all the steps as soon as I get home ...

dog

Edited by moondog830, 28 April 2020 - 01:04 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No problem but I did think I was imagining things for a while  :D

Hid the first post so you will not get any more replies to it.

Device Manager info acknowledged but me being in the UK may mean I will be offline when you next reply.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Did you ever resolve this moondog830?

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

sorry for the delay ... babysitting grandkids ... when I get to Hardware and Devices and click on 'Advanced' it does not give me the option to Run as Administrator

When I click on 'Next' ... it finds 1 problem 

'Hardware changes might not have been detected                    Detected         warning icon'

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No worries, family always comes first  :thumbsup:

Create a new system restore point, uninstall the device in Device Manager, restart the computer to see if Windows detects it as new hardware and installs it.

No rush as I am calling it a day now but will check back tomorrow,

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

I'm a bit confused ... what device should I be uninstalling ... the one message I got didn't specify a device. I have created the restore point 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Sorry, as we are only dealing with a webcam issue I incorrectly took it for granted that you would know that it was the device that I was suggesting that you uninstall in Device Manager.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

LOL ... I'm the one who's sorry ... I should've known ... dealing with school for my grandkids and chores for the wife ... ouch ... I will do that and let you know

okay ... I uninstalled HD WebCam and shut down my laptop. I booted back up and it's back. I have no idea if it works as I have no one to try to chat with until tomorrow

Edited by moondog830, 06 May 2020 - 08:21 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No worries as and when you have a moment to yourself, if you can get one that is  :)

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

okay ... I uninstalled HD WebCam and shut down my laptop. I booted back up and it's back. I have no idea if it works as I have no one to try to chat with until tomorrow

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You could run the hardware troubleshooter + check the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red X while you wait.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

ran the hardware troubleshooter and got the same thing ... yellow ! ... [Hardware changes might not have been detected ... Detected ... yellow!]

I'm getting a headache :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

What about checking the Device Manager, any yellow ! against the webcam, if yes, have you right clicked on the device and then clicked on Properties to see what it says there