Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have issue seeing one of my computers on my wired network

• Please log in to reply

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

ok pc1 is up I will continue on that, I kinda like the lock screen so no one can log on easily if I have loged off

I will continue on pc2  as well

thx!!

Advertisements

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

ok pc1 completed sfc  /scannow and said successfully repaired corrupt files 

PowerENGAGE was disables, but I did notice an entry for power engage patch? do I need to disable this as well?

I'm getting confused going back and forth between pc's lol. anything else for pc1?

my pc1 computer name not showing up on either window explorer  network tab

have not tried to do the dummy thing yet, am switching back to pc2 now

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Disable power engage patch too.

Do the following on each PC:

Search for:

services.msc

hit Enter

scroll down to the first service that starts with Network:

Compare each Network entry's Status and Startup Type: with the following screenshot from my PC:

network.jpg

If any are not running on your PC that are running on mine:  If any have a different Startup Type: then right click and select Properties then change the Startup Type: to match mine.  OK.  Now try to START the service.  IF you get an error let me know.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

ok pc1 network setup service was not running, I was able to start it

still working pc2

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

pc2 dism ok

sfc  /scannow no integrety violations

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

pc2 network setup service was not running, I was able to start it

I think I did everything??

thx

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

When you open File Explorer and look at Network do you see anything at all?  Do you see your router?  In the top pane, click on View than check Hidden Items.

See if you can map a network drive in each direction.  You can use the IPv4 addresses as destinations.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

ok, so now the situation is reversed (and this is a problem)

pc2 comes up in the network tab on both computers "only"

to clarify before pc1 was visible in the network tab in windows explorer,  on both computers

now pc 2 is visible on both computers, pc1 is not showing up

so pc2 can access my pc1 but not vice versa?

I don't know how to " map a network drive in each direction" can u send instructions?

just so you know, I have at least 2 programs (a schedule and accounting programs) that we share between pcs every day. so the connection is there, just windows 10 is busting chops?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

My guess is that the first PC up will be able to see the other one when it comes up.

I got out a laptop yesterday and found out it shows the same problem you report.  Did some research and Windows 10 Version 1803 removed the homegroup.  Don't know why.

I played with my two PCs for a while.  This worked to map network drives in both directions:

My login on both computers is Ron so I first went to file explorer on PC1 (desktop)  and This PC => C: => Users =>Ron.  Left click on Ron then right click and select Properties then Sharing.  I clicked on Share and to make things simpler put in

everyone

then hit Add.  That gave everyone Read permission.  If you want Read/Write you need to click on the arrow next to Read and select Read/write.  It will tell you what to use for the network path:

In my case it is: \\TVGUY\Ron.  Close

Next go to  PC 2(laptop), go into File Explorer and click on This PC.  Up in the top you will see Map Network Drive.  Click on it.  It will assign a letter like Z: after Drive.  You can change it if you like.  In the Folder: box put the network path it gave you.  In my case \\TVGUY\Ron  and click both boxes before hitting Finish.

Put in the login and password that is used on the first PC.  Check Remember my credentials.  OK.  That's all you need to do. You should see the Z: drive in file explorer. 

Then repeat the above starting with PC2.

This should work for you to share files easily.  Drawback is that if only one PC is up it may be a bit slower booting as it tries to find the other PC.  If you no longer need the network drives be sure and go to File Explorer, This PC.  Click on the arrow for Map Network Drive then select Disconnect network Drive.  Select the drive and OK.

Apparently the new way to do things is with Nearby Sharing

https://www.windowsc...ril-2018-update

I can't test it because I removed a lot of stuff I don't need from Win 10 on my desktop and apparently that was part of it.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

ok I was able to see both pcs on pc2 fairly easily after trying what u instructed, but pc1 is still being difficult, it goes thru the motion of "sharing" but after 10-15 minutes it says "can't be shared"

the c drive and user (dave) are showing shared, but I can't get pc2 to show uo in the network of pc1?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Open an elevated command prompt on PC1

Type:

chkdsk  /r  C:

It will say it can't now because the drive is in use but will ask you if you want to schedule it to run at the next boot.  Tell it Y

then reboot.  Test should start and will take an hour or more depending on the size of the disk and how fast a PC you have.

This checks the file system for errors which might cause problems with things like sharing.

Try your sharing again and see if it still fails.

Run minitoolbox again with just the

List last 10 Event Viewer Errors

checked and post the report. 

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

no joy, now neither pc shows anything in network and it still says can't share

but does this do anything for you as far as mapping ?

this is the link from my pc to the pc2 my schedule program uses to access the schedule file kept on pc2

\\DESKTOP-NOQBE2R\jess2017C\integra

where pc2=NOQBE2R\jess2017C

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 17-06-2016
Ran by dave (administrator) on 04-05-2020 at 15:26:01
Running from "C:\Users\dave\OneDrive\Desktop"
Microsoft Windows 10 Home  (X64)
Model: Inspiron 3668 Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (05/04/2020 03:11:21 PM) (Source: Alogent/Remote Deposit/Remote Deposit Scanner Service) (User: )
Description: Exception Details : MonitorClient - Found unexpected instance of the client process.

Error: (05/04/2020 03:11:16 PM) (Source: WorkflowAppControl) (User: )
Description: Start Broadcast Receiver Server...

Description: Wait Workflow Commands request from device.

Description: Start Server...

Description: Host.AddressList[1]: 192.168.1.4

Description: Host.AddressList[0]: fe80::9523:6957:177f:694a%16

Description: Host.AddressList.Length: 2

Error: (05/04/2020 03:11:16 PM) (Source: USBAppControl) (User: )
Description: Wait Workflow Commands request from device.

Error: (05/04/2020 03:11:16 PM) (Source: USBAppControl) (User: )

System errors:
=============
Error: (05/04/2020 11:42:21 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Downloaded Maps Manager service hung on starting.

Error: (05/04/2020 10:14:44 AM) (Source: DCOM) (User: DESKTOP-66N35HF)
Description: {355822FC-86F1-4BE8-B5F0-A33736789641}

Error: (05/01/2020 12:07:07 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Downloaded Maps Manager service hung on starting.

Error: (05/01/2020 12:00:06 PM) (Source: EventLog) (User: )
Description: The previous system shutdown at 11:44:04 AM on ‎5/‎1/‎2020 was unexpected.

Error: (05/01/2020 11:53:24 AM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: {752073A1-23F2-4396-85F0-8FDB879ED0ED}TrustedInstaller

Error: (05/01/2020 11:49:21 AM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (05/01/2020 11:45:18 AM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (05/01/2020 11:41:15 AM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (05/01/2020 11:37:12 AM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (05/01/2020 11:33:09 AM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================

CodeIntegrity Errors:
===================================
  Date: 2020-05-04 15:10:49.872
  Description: Windows is unable to verify the image integrity of the file \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\drivers\GUBootStartup.sys because file hash could not be found on the system. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

Date: 2020-05-04 11:34:04.163
  Description: Windows is unable to verify the image integrity of the file \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\drivers\GUBootStartup.sys because file hash could not be found on the system. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

Date: 2020-05-01 11:59:40.172

Date: 2020-04-29 11:15:18.291
  Description: Windows is unable to verify the image integrity of the file \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\drivers\BootDefragDriver.sys because file hash could not be found on the system. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

Date: 2020-04-29 11:03:38.871

Date: 2020-04-17 11:06:55.566

Date: 2020-04-17 10:45:30.963

Date: 2020-04-17 10:36:14.222

Date: 2020-04-17 09:03:04.580
  Description: Windows is unable to verify the image integrity of the file \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\drivers\BootDefragDriver.sys because file hash could not be found on the system. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

Date: 2020-04-17 08:40:36.520

**** End of log ****

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

• Get FRST from http://www.bleepingc...very-scan-tool/You need to download the appropriate tool for your PC.  If you don't know if you have a 32 or 64 bit system get them both.  Only one will work and that's the right one.
  • Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Check the Addition.txt box
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.  
  • Please copy and paste log back here.
  • It will generate another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.

Smart Screen, Windows Defender and Avast have all been blocking FRST recently.  It's a false positive so pause your antivirus when downloading or running FRST.  If you get a message saying Smart Screen has blocked it you can click on More Info and you will see an option to Run Anyway.

Get Process Explorer

https://live.sysinte...com/procexp.exe

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7+ - right click and Run As Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK
Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header  to sort things by CPU usage with the big hitters at the top.  

Wait a full minute then:

File, Save As, Save.  Note the file name.   Open the file  on your desktop and copy and paste the text to a reply.

Copy the next 2 lines:

TASKLIST /SVC  > \junk.txt
notepad \junk.txt

Open an Elevated Command Prompt:
Win 7: Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator
Win 8: http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html
win 10: http://www.howtogeek...-in-windows-10/

Right click and Paste (or Edit then Paste) and the copied lines should appear.
Hit Enter if notepad does not open.  Copy and paste the text from notepad into a reply.

Get the free version of Speccy:

http://www.filehippo...ownload_speccy/ 

(Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button  - Do NOT press the large Start Download button on the upper left!)  
Download, Save and Install it.  Tell it you do not need CCLEANER.    Run Speccy.  When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving),
File, Save as Text File,  (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK.  Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System.  
(It will be near the top,  10-20  lines down.) Save the file.  Attach the file to your next post.  Attaching the log is the best option as it is too big for the forum.  Attaching is a multi step process.

First click on More Reply Options
Then scroll down to where you see
Choose File and click on it.  Point it at the file and hit Open.
Now click on Attach this file.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

ok I've been shutting down both pcs alternately, what I have now is actually a workable solution. I'm back where I was before from my pc1 I can access pc2, on windows explorer , but I can not access pc2 from my main pc1.  But I can live with that as under normal conditions as long as I can access files from pc2 I'm ok. Pc 2 generally dose'nt have a need to access my files. I was trying to get perfect, but this is too much.

ok I just saw your last response, OK.......  I'll give it another shot, but I'm kinda leary of losing my access to pc2 again? what do u think?

btw, I feel you have been of excellent help and have given my pc's a though scrubbing and tweaking that it definitly needed

you've given me a long homework list, I'll work on tomorrow. I'm frazzeled! lol! (and going home in a few.)

Thank you so much for all your efforts!! I greatly appreciate it!!!

ps;  win 10 sucks...........

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I'm concerned about one of the errors I saw in your last post:

Error: (05/04/2020 03:11:21 PM) (Source: Alogent/Remote Deposit/Remote Deposit Scanner Service) (User: )

Description: Exception Details : MonitorClient - Found unexpected instance of the client process.

Worried you might have some malware that is trying to get into your banking software.

So I think you need to do your homework as soon as you feel up to it.