Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start up failure

• Please log in to reply

xsnipersgox

xsnipersgox

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, i've recently (1 month) built a computer for my brother, can't say i really know my stuff but i can get it to work (did it on mine). Here are the items.

GIGABYTE k8Triton AGP8X/DDR 400 Motherboard
80GB Seagate HD
Radeon 9200 (old graphic card, but tested to work on my computer)
CD/DVD RW
2.8GH AMD processor (lost the detail)
Kingston HyperX Memory 512 MB

and recently after soudn failure

Philips PSC 32 bit soundcard

Well, i had the whole system set up a month ago and was working fine(except for some reason front USB port and headjacks dosen't work, i took it to granted in me not able to hook up the motherboard right), installed the drivers and windows XP Pro with SP2. This is untill i tried to install World of Warcraft on the computer, the installation stopped at disk 2, ask for disk 3, but the cd-rom refused to open, so i took out the old CD drive (reused old CD drive from e-machine) and put in a better newer cd/dvd r-w Drive, and the same thing happened (i installed the game finally through networking). However, in the process of changing the CD-rom, i smelled a hint of burning smell (the WoW installation CD looks to be damaged, so i am assuming it came from there).

After that incident, i discovered that the onboard sound does not work anymore, check different speakers and it said it didn't work. Today i decided to just purchase the soudncard mentioned above and installed it(let my bro did it). After installing the sound card, i tried to start the computer, it loads the master/slave stuff, and the windows icon with scrolling blue bar shows up, it stays there (with blue bar moving) for a normal amount of time with no freeze, then the monitor just goes off indicating no signal. The computer however seem to be still working as in i can hear the HD spinning and the red LED goes off in the front like its working.

Can someone help? >.< thanks alot

Advertisements

Hawker

Hawker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
is your CPU fan working right?

xsnipersgox

xsnipersgox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yup, fan is good, cpu temp is good according to BIO, however, i just shut down my computer and hook my onboard speaker unto his, and all throughout startup there was a loud continuous beep sound.. don't think tats good :tazz: ;)