Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ACER computer monitor hdmi input not supported (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 15 May 2020 - 04:31 AM

Thanks for clarifying   Reason why I asked was because it says in the product info "NOT compatible with Blu-ray player and devices with low-power HDMI ports" The adaptor could be fau... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

I recently purchased an extra monitor (used) along with a VGA to HDMI adaptor (Amazon). When I connect the monitor to my computer using the HDMI adapter, the monitor screen displays the message "input not supported." The interesting part is that I have a second computer that has both VGA and HDMI connections. The monitor works fine with the direct VGA connection, but again if I use the HDMI adapter on this second computer, I get the same error message. The only reasons I can come up with are that the HDMI adapter is faulty or the monitor for whatever reason doesn't work with the HDMI adapter (which seems odd to me). Are there any other potential reasons this might be happening? Hoping to avoid needing to try a different HDMI adapter or buying a new monitor.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,778 posts

Hello MasterJ,

It is possible that the monitor concerned is not compatible with such an adaptor, not all of them are.

Do you have a model name and/or number for the monitor concerned and the same for the adaptor that you are trying to use.

In addition to the above, do the two computers that you have tried both have an add on video card or are you using video ports on the computer motherboards.

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

The HDMI adapter doesn't have any model information on the adapter itself, but this is the Amazon listing:

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The extra monitor is an ACER, model number X223W, manufactured in 2009.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,778 posts
In addition to the above, do the two computers that you have tried both have an add on video card or are you using video ports on the computer motherboards.

We could do with knowing the answer to the above as well as it may help to determine if the adaptor is faulty, fair few bad reviews for the device at your link btw. .

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Whoops! Sorry about that. No video cards have been added for either computer.

I think I saw the 4.5 and then moved on. But now looking at the 8% of 1 star reviews, they're virtually all people complaining it just doesn't work. If that's the case I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a different one.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,778 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thanks for clarifying  :thumbsup:

Reason why I asked was because it says in the product info "NOT compatible with Blu-ray player and devices with low-power HDMI ports"

The adaptor could be faulty but likewise the MBs HDMI ports could be too weak, they do another adaptor here that allows a USB connector to be plugged in but just so you know that got 10% bad reviews.

Only sure fire way of testing the adaptor would be seeing if you are able to get someone to try it on a computer that has a decent add on video card that draws power direct from the PSU and not the PCI-E slot on the MB.

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Unfortunately it will likely be a challenge to find another computer to test it with. But if I do manage to find one, or if I end up buying a different adapter and it works, I'll be sure to let you know. Thank you again for all of your help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,778 posts

You are welcome and thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

So I bit the bullet and bought a new HDMI adapter from Best Buy. And it worked on both computers. So sounds like I just bought a faulty piece of equipment. Thank you again for all of your help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,778 posts

Glad you are all sorted and thanks for coming back to let us know  :thumbsup:

You are welcome  :)